+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default working and breastfeeding

i have a bit of a dilema. my bubs is due early january and i also start back at uni in march but i want to breastfeed (this course is not offered off campus). i have to spend two whole days (9-4) a week on campus. i have been told bubs is more than welcome to come along with me and i was thinking of taking him with me for the first couple of months till he is old enough to left with DH. i'm just not sure how to juggle breastfeeding and being at uni at the same time. any suggestions????
    DH and i always used to say we will face this dilema when/if i get accepted into honours.....now that i have, we have to face the dilema!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations on doing your Honours!!

It sounds like you've got almost the perfect situation - if bub is welcome to go with you, you can feed wherever you are. Breastfeeding in public's so much easier than taking bottles, formula, etc along.

I'd suggest practicing feeding out & about (breastfeeding tops, or wearing 2 tops so you can pull one up & one down to minimise "flashing" everyone while you feed may help if you don't feel terribly comfortable to start with), and I'd also recommend getting a sling or baby carrier (ring sling, hug a bub, baby bjorn, etc) and getting bub used to being in it from day 1. That way you can carry bub more or less hands free, giving you both hands to deal with books, etc. If you'd rather use a pram (may work depending on the uni's layout) again try to get bub used to it from early on.

The only other thing I can think of is make sure you have a backup to taking notes if you need to do that - sometimes with a new baby you need to change a nappy RIGHT NOW (TMI - sometimes you get poo blowouts!), and unless you master feeding in a sling/baby carrier it can be rather akward writing with your dominant hand when feeding on that side.

Oh, and if you want to leave expressed milk for your DH to give while you're at uni later on start practicing early and try to get a stash of milk in the freezer as a backup. If you do leave bub with DH you'll need to express at uni to maintain supply and for comfort so make sure you get a portable pump (either manual or battery operated) for maximum portability.

HTH
    Debbie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    soem great ideas......i'm writing them down. i will definitly be getting a sling, i think it will save me greatly. i never even thought of freezing breast milk, what a great idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there a childcare centre on campus? I have a friend who studied on campus & when bubs was too old to go to classes with her, she would pop to the childcare centre to feed her baby.

Breastfeeding tops are a great idea. At the parents babies & children's expo I saw a breastfeeding cape you can wear to avoid flashing, but I found that using a muslin wrap thown over my shoulder served the same purpose

Melissa

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissieK View Post
    Is there a childcare centre on campus? I have a friend who studied on campus & when bubs was too old to go to classes with her, she would pop to the childcare centre to feed her baby.

Breastfeeding tops are a great idea. At the parents babies & children's expo I saw a breastfeeding cape you can wear to avoid flashing, but I found that using a muslin wrap thown over my shoulder served the same purpose

Melissa
    no there is no childcare. as soon as bubs is a bit older, DH will have the honours of looking after him . i don't think i could persoanlly handle being away from bubs when hes that little, which is why i want to drag him around with me.
    i like the muslin wrap idea. i'm not much for flashing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    it's very easy to do and all uni's have parent rooms and breastfeeding facilities - and most offer some sort of childcare facility so even if you just pop in there.

I've also done the frozen breastmilk thing and just heated it up in a cup of hot water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bigglet View Post
    it's very easy to do and all uni's have parent rooms and breastfeeding facilities - and most offer some sort of childcare facility so even if you just pop in there.

I've also done the frozen breastmilk thing and just heated it up in a cup of hot water.
    unfortunately the campus i'l be at doesn't have child care. i should wonder around though and see if there are any change facilities though.