+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Lightbulb Private health insurance - who, cost and inclusions?

Okay so help me out here!

I am looking into private health insurance, I really have no idea about at all.

I am mostly interested in it for Dd.

Can anyone give me some insight into who you are with, what it incudes and how much you pay if you feel comfortable saying.

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am with Defence Health, previously only Defence members and families (existing or past) could be a member but now it's everyone.
    My rates are reduced due to being a Defence family so $200 a month for top hospital and extras with no excess. My friend isn't a Defence family and pays $250 for the same thing with an excess.
    They cover so much stuff, hospital, births, dental, full optical, Chiro plus so much more. Highly recommend them.

If you didn't want cover for yourself, I believe you can just cover children instead other wise they are covered for free under cover regardless of how many children you have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have just swapped from Medibank to GMF. I think we pay around $230ish a month for basic hospital and mid extras. Medibank cost us about the same for basic hospital and extras. Both included a $500 excess for hospital cover - that was waived for kids under Medibank though.

We swapped as we needed to include speech therapy and OT for our DD - GMF have higher yearly limits for these than Medibank. That being said, we thought medibank were quite good too - some of their covers have 100% rebate for things like dental and physio for kids if you use their providers. GMF don't have preferred providers.

Good luck with it all - before we swapped I did a ring around of lots of providers - it was complicated making a decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm with Defense as well. My dad is military and I just stayed with them when I had to get my own insurance. I have compared other covers before, including a discounted Bupa cover through my old work and they couldn't match the level of cover for the price.

We have top hospital and top extras family cover with a $500 excess. I can't remember how much we pay, I'll have to look it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am with GMHBA, we have the most basic cover, bronze hospital and bronze extras. Enough so that we don't pay the Medicare surcharge, but pregnancy and birth not covered. The hospital cover is for private patient in a public hospital, but we live near some really good public hospitals, and I work in public hospital, so I'm happy with that. I think it is about $800 every 6 months, so just a bit over $100 per month. Cheapest one I could find!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We are with defence too great benefits. Especially if you need braces!!! Haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bupa $320 a month. We're silver level I believe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grand United Health $380 per month Platinum membership
    $200 excess, minimum 80% rebates on claims

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Private health insurance

If you're employed you might want to check if your work has a deal with an insurance company

I'm on corporate rates with medibank (top hospital and top extras no excess $230 a month)