Hi all, just a few concerns for my 3 year old boy..... Wondering if any other parents have the same or similar issue.
1- hitting....this is a new thing, he does it when his frustrated and sometimes when his happy, mostly frustrated.
2- some words are not clear...... We talk to our son in 2 languages, in English he mumbles and does not make more the 4 word sentence in 1 hit. And then if you ask him something he starts mumbling. But he understands everything in both languages.
3- concentration....I think his way too busy in his mind. He can watch TV and the iPad for a long time however when it comes to being outside he has a short attention span, evening crafts or painting he will focus on it for around 20min. Ideas?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
04-09-2015 09:51 #1
Hitting and other issues
04-09-2015 10:08 #2Senior Member
- Join Date
- May 2014
1) walk away when he hits. Tell him you won't stay there to be hit, it hurts and you don't like it. We have a no hitting in the house rule...no one hits.
2) I think that's normal for kids who are learning two languages but your GP could give you a referral to a speech therapist.
3) 20 minutes is a normal concentration span for a 3 year old.
04-09-2015 10:35 #3
20 minutes is great for a 3 year old! I can't even concentrate for that long (thank you internet for ruining my brain)
I'm sure I read once about bilingual children seemingly taking longer to start talking, but when it finally kicks in they hit the ground running. But I have no personal experience with this, I'm sure other people can give you much better advice
04-09-2015 11:00 #4
1) Pretty normal. I take a 2-fold approach to unacceptable behaviour. Use "I" statements and walk away as a PP suggested. e.g. "I won't let you hit me." "I don't want to stay here when you hit" etc. At other times, when everyone's calm, discuss helpful/positive ways to deal with frustration (e.g. slow breaths, a calm toy/jar, cuddling you/toys, going to calm corner, runnig around outside...whatever might help him).
2) If his language development is age-appropriate in at least one language, I wouldn't be worried.
3) 20 minutes is a pretty long concentration span for a 3 year old
04-09-2015 11:41 #5
Thank you very much....I've walked away when he hits but he has a big tantrum, not sure if it could be anything worse. Usually his an angel.
By HollyGolightly81 in forum General ChatReplies: 71Last Post: 09-12-2015, 23:55
By BH-KatiesMum in forum Social IssuesReplies: 1Last Post: 09-12-2015, 21:09
By Starfish30 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & ChatReplies: 2Last Post: 30-09-2014, 19:21
The MAMA CentrePregnancy, birth & beyond care with your very own midwife. Home & hospital birth support, VBACs, antenatal & postnatal ...
LATESTWhy it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?7 ways to break the ‘mumnotony’ at home
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Lite & Easy ???Second Trimester Chat
ongoing chat threadGeneral Chat
Happiness thread.General Chat
The Vampire Diaries LAST EPISODEMovies / Music / Books / TV Chat
Egg Donation in Greece #5Egg Donation
A - Z of baby girl namesGames & fun stuff
Placenta distance for natural birthThird Trimester Chat
Come chat, Ladies who are 40+ TTC or ExpectingConception & Fertility General Chat