Closed Thread
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 279
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    6,343
    Thanks
    5,785
    Thanked
    4,718
    Reviews
    20
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I chose to have 3 children because we could afford too.
    And excuse me but I have not complained at all about not getting enough government assistance! I have never relied on centrelink and have worked 3 jobs to get by in recent times rather than sit on my butt and get government assistance and don't complain about it. I would much rather work and help support my family. That's a different issue entirely though.

    There are millions of people wanting a better life and if all third world countries took them all in pretty soon first world countries will be third world, economies will collapse and the issues of culture will rear it's ugly head. I don't know what the answer is, I just feel Australia is doing as much as it should and can.
    If I could be bothered to go back through your participated threads, there would most certainly be posts of you complaining how you don't get enough government assistance/it's not fair that someone on half your income is entitled to more than you/*insert similar complaint here*.

    I see that you ignored my third paragraph. Is that because you know you would do also seek refuge, given the circumstances?

    Regarding a collapsing economy, do you have something to back that up? That's quite a strong call to make.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Thanks
    885
    Thanked
    2,044
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found 'The Project' had an interesting discussion tonight,I was interested particularly that Oxfam &World Vision were both suggesting 30,000 refugees to Australia. Other groups were suggesting between 20 - 50,000.

    Sorry to those who arent interested in finances,but I am a statistics person & find it interesting & important to discuss (ignore the following if you arent interested). It was mentioned that the cost is $13,000 per refugee in Australia - so bringing 30.000 refugees will cost Aust 660million (I havent done the math - that was what was quoted). Which is a lot of money,but is only 1% of our budget. So bringing 30,000 extra refugees will mean neccesary cuts elsewhere - Carrie mentioned the gay marriage referendum is over $1 mil,so we should scrap the referendum & bring in marriage equality anyway Im happy to pay more for medicare &have less FTB if that is whats required to save 30,000 refugees. It still feels like a tiny drop in the ocean compared to how many are in need.

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,256
    Thanks
    3,924
    Thanked
    2,278
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am happy to pay more tax as an individual to place as many people as possible, happily.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,141
    Thanks
    998
    Thanked
    3,234
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Disclaimer: I have NO idea about this but in the budget, is there not money set aside for humanitarian aid? Can it not be used for this?

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,141
    Thanks
    998
    Thanked
    3,234
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'll add that I have no issue paying further tax etc for this either...

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Thanks
    885
    Thanked
    2,044
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There is nothing stopping the government processing these people. Many other countries are much quicker at processing asylum seekers.
    I live near a refugee centre in Aust, & the average length of stay was 6 months. I wonder how the govt chooses who goes into community detention for quick processing, & who goes offshore? I always thought it was the straight forward, 'easy'low risk cases brought onshore. The ones not so sure about were offshore.

    In the hundreds of refugees who have gone through my local centre, one was found to be a criminal in his own country & was immediately deported. Only one out of hundreds of refugees. I wont lie, it is frightening that this criminal was living down the road from my children,but I guess thats why only low risk refugees are brought into the community? Also,the local media jumped on the fact that he was a criminal,where I probably encounter criminals all the time who are Australians, & I wouldnt even know.

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    5,122
    Thanks
    4,916
    Thanked
    4,775
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

    But your budget currently allows for 1.1 billion in your current policy. I've been talking numbers, that's my point. Australia is spending much more in their effort to keep asylum seekers out than it would cost to actually accept more from camps and process those by boat in Australia.

    That's what is annoying me, everyone keeps talking of the cost while ignoring how much you are already currently spending.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

    BettyW  (09-09-2015)

  9. #188
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,205
    Thanks
    1,433
    Thanked
    7,830
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default **trigger warning** Recent refugee incidents in Europe

    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I live near a refugee centre in Aust, & the average length of stay was 6 months. I wonder how the govt chooses who goes into community detention for quick processing, & who goes offshore? I always thought it was the straight forward, 'easy'low risk cases brought onshore. The ones not so sure about were offshore.

    In the hundreds of refugees who have gone through my local centre, one was found to be a criminal in his own country & was immediately deported. Only one out of hundreds of refugees. I wont lie, it is frightening that this criminal was living down the road from my children,but I guess thats why only low risk refugees are brought into the community? Also,the local media jumped on the fact that he was a criminal,where I probably encounter criminals all the time who are Australians, & I wouldnt even know.
    The average length in detention is well over 400 days. Too long for the proven 90% (at least) of asylum seekers who are genuine refugees.

    That's like being incarcerated for a crime you didn't commit.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    HollyGolightly81  (08-09-2015)

  11. #189
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,595
    Thanks
    885
    Thanked
    2,044
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The average length in detention is well over 400 days. Too long for the proven 90% (at least) of asylum seekers who are genuine refugees.

    That's like being incarcerated for a crime you didn't commit.
    And I TOTALLY get that, but what about the 10% who are not refugees? How else do we process and find out who is and is not a refugee,without using detention? Im not being a smartar3e,I genuinely wonder how else to find out the 10%? Is it better to accept everyone into the community & give them all the benefit of the doubt - but then if 10% of 30,000 refugees are not refugees, that is 3,000 extra who we could have helped - 3,000 people. And who are these 10%? It seems like a lot of time & money wasted trying to find out who they are &why they are coming to Australia,if they are not refugees? I was under the impression that's why most of the refugees we do accept are from UNHCR camps. Im not trying to argue at all,wanting to know &find out more.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

    yadot  (08-09-2015)

  13. #190
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,205
    Thanks
    1,433
    Thanked
    7,830
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    And I TOTALLY get that, but what about the 10% who are not refugees? How else do we process and find out who is and is not a refugee,without using detention? Im not being a smartar3e,I genuinely wonder how else to find out the 10%? Is it better to accept everyone into the community & give them all the benefit of the doubt - but then if 10% of 30,000 refugees are not refugees, that is 3,000 extra who we could have helped - 3,000 people. And who are these 10%? It seems like a lot of time & money wasted trying to find out who they are &why they are coming to Australia,if they are not refugees? I was under the impression that's why most of the refugees we do accept are from UNHCR camps. Im not trying to argue at all,wanting to know &find out more.
    Look, under Australian law, ANYBODY who is in Australia without a valid visa must be taken to a detention centre. That is in our migration act. But there are exceptions. Community detention is an alternative and should absolutely be used for children, women and families. Currently there are about 800 children in detention.

    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1441709663.966439.jpg


 

Similar Threads

  1. Help distressed trigger warning
    By Mummy12 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 09:09
  2. What would you do if...(trigger warning)
    By ozeymumof5 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-10-2014, 14:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car RestraintsBuying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Join my pity partyGeneral Chat
Anyone have kids with NF1?General Child Health Issues
Do people suck...?General Chat
Is the name too popular?Choosing Baby Names
Help with BBT chartConception & Fertility General Chat
❤Joyous June/July TTC!❤Conception & Fertility General Chat
Advice! BFP or BFN?Pregnancy Tests & Help / Support with Results
Car Seat for Nissan Navara 2013 STXProduct Recommendations & Questions
Are Ovulation Test Kits Helpful?Conception & Fertility General Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›