+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 56 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful1975 View Post
    Hi
    I didn't use a belly band - I thought long and hard about it and got some advice from bubbers. If money is no issue, I would have gotten one and just chalked it up to experience if it was rubbish.
    Wearing shapeware pants now just to make the wobble more comfortable
    Apparently they can be just as good anyway.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieMalooley For This Useful Post:

Hopeful1975  (27-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Twins due in 2016

I would
    put myself in the oldies category too and our twins are now almost 5 months old
    (where did that time go!!😳)
    I recovered reasonably well from the c/section but I too still have an unsightly 'overhang' 😩.
    I did use SRC shorts to use after delivery but I didn't always find them very comfortable to wear so wasn't very consistent. (I found them very hot and restrictive)
    The first three months were bloody hard work (even with plenty of extra hands available) and even now I am regularly reminded that routine is key!
    If you don't have to head back to work as soon as I have had to - I would suggest that somewhere around the 4 Month mark you should be able to start incorporating some regular exercise to deal with the ravages that twin pregnancy does to our bodies...
    But yes the smiles and cuddles do make everything else seem kind of insignificant..

I would probably also give you all a heads up (especially those experiencing bad reflux) that twin pregnancy puts you at high/er risk of developing gall stones. I had no idea!

I can personally attest to the fact that gall stone attacks are worse than contractions!
    Last edited by Blinky76; 27-02-2016 at 20:03.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

Alittleray  (29-02-2016),Hopeful1975  (27-02-2016),JulieMalooley  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting on the gallbladder piece! Who knew

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations hopeful and blinky, it's so helpful to hear your post preg experience. I've been so focused just on the pregnancy part I haven't thought about post recovery, I just took it for granted. I'll be looking into the belly supports pre and post c section. I've had bad reflux I wondered about the acid causing problems, will you have to have the stohes removed? What have you both found the hardest. Feeding, fatigue, all. You may be lucky to even have time for the forum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by miss macy View Post
    Congratulations hopeful and blinky, it's so helpful to hear your post preg experience. I've been so focused just on the pregnancy part I haven't thought about post recovery, I just took it for granted. I'll be looking into the belly supports pre and post c section. I've had bad reflux I wondered about the acid causing problems, will you have to have the stohes removed? What have you both found the hardest. Feeding, fatigue, all. You may be lucky to even have time for the forum!
    So the lack of space (I'm a shortie @5'2) resulted in my gallbladder and liver being squashed by our little Miss. This coupled with the bad reflux resulted in small gallstones.
    I started getting gallstone attacks from about 8 weeks pp. The first time it happened I actually thought I was having a heart attack (the pain was intense and in the centre of my chest and radiated to my right side). I have since had multiple attacks and now have to have my gallbladder removed. (Apparently once you start getting attacks you can pretty much guarantee that you will need it removed)

The logistics of managing twins with hospital visits and surgery has been chaotic to say the least.

As far as advice goes:
    I think the hardest part was definitely the first 8 weeks. The monotony of feeding/burping/sleeping/washing babies in 3 hourly cycles meant sleep was minimal. I really did feel like a zombie. If you break it down it can look something like this: (well it did for us)
    0-1hour - feeding/burping (if you are unlucky like us you will have 'reflux' babies who need to stay upright for at least an hour after feeding.
    0-30mins - settling baby to sleep
    (Sometimes they settle straight away/sometimes they don't 😥)
    That often only leaves you about 1- 11/2 hours to decide if you are either going to
    A) sleep
    B) eat
    C) shower

Before you do it all again 😳.

We started out trying to breast feed but in the end went to bottle feeding which in some ways made the routine a little more bearable so that either DH or I could opt to get a volunteer to cover the feed for us so we could get a longer stretch of sleep.

Other helpful ideas:
    I would suggest stocking up as much 'easy meal' options in your freezer as possible. Include lunch items too - remembering that if you will often feel ravenous from round the clock care and breastfeeding.
    Anything you can eat one handed is also good.
    Also accept ALL offers of help. The first few months are hard, any help is good help. If their are certain jobs you are pedantic about (washing or whatever) either learn to accept a different standard or opt to do those yourself and delegate everything else.
    We found it useful to have a whiteboard to communicate and write todo lists. We would also record feed details (time/volume etc)
    so any of our army of helpers could step in easily.

In saying all of that - you come out the other side of these initial weeks. you will survive it. It doesn't last forever. On those hard days when I was tired (and emotional) , I would remind myself that 'it was just for a time'. It also gets easier (and lots more fun).

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

Alittleray  (29-02-2016),Hopeful1975  (28-02-2016),JulieMalooley  (28-02-2016),Lolly99  (28-02-2016),miss macy  (28-02-2016),MusicalGal  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Blinky

Great advice and so so familiar! In fact I'm right now wrestling with giving up on bf so your experience is really interesting
    Since day one - because they were in nicu for 20+ days - they have had formula top ups. This has meant my milk supply has been poor and I've struggled with pumping to keep it going. I've been trying to cut the top ups out but it's been so hard- tears from them, worrying about whether they are getting enough and just the exhaustion of bf round the clock

Thanks
    Reviews
    Blinky thanks for the advice. Hope it's getting a little easier for you and hope you recover quickly after your surgery!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful1975 View Post
    Blinky

Great advice and so so familiar! In fact I'm right now wrestling with giving up on bf so your experience is really interesting
    Since day one - because they were in nicu for 20+ days - they have had formula top ups. This has meant my milk supply has been poor and I've struggled with pumping to keep it going. I've been trying to cut the top ups out but it's been so hard- tears from them, worrying about whether they are getting enough and just the exhaustion of bf round the clock
    I hope you don't mind me crashing your thread (again) but this was my experience with my now nearly 7 month old twin boys.

It was exhausting physically and emotionally - I was feeding them for up to 40 mins, topping them up with either expressed milk or formula, and then pumping for 10-20 mins after every feed, every 2.5 -3 hrs. I was also on motilium, fenugreek, lactation cookies etc etc, using supplemental nursing systems and getting laser therapy, paying for lactation consultants and different feeding pillows getting tongue ties cut.

It was crazy, I was exhausted and I was so so hard on myself because I wasn't able to do what I thought I should (exclusively breastfeed the boys).

I was constantly worried and stressed that the boys were not getting enough to eat while I tried to cut down the top ups and exclusively breastfeed, constantly stressing about missing a pumping session (which meant I didn't really leave he house for more than 30 mins for the first 10 weeks!).

Eventually, after numerous teary meltdowns I decided for my sanity and for the boys happiness and growth to embrace mix feeding and just stop pumping after every feed, and introduced a formula feed at 11pm done by DH so I could get a stretch of sleep longer than 90 mins at a time.

It meant we were able to have an awesome breastfeeding relationship until they were 5.5 months old while still having a life and my sanity. They also got the antibodies and goodies from my milk while still getting enough calories to get delicious baby rolls on their thighs.

This is not to say that you should do the same, but just that it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I was desperate for someone to tell me it was ok to feed the boys in a way that suited us rather than everyone telling me to keep persevering when my nipples were nearly falling off (seriously! 😳😂) and the boys were clearly not getting enough milk from me - at the end of the day, fed is best, and your babies need a happy mum who has the time to enjoy them!

And ironically, my supply picked up a bit when I did this - I think it was the combo of more sleep and just chilling the eff out!

Excuse the novel, I just really would hate to think someone else was going through what I did, it was hideous xx

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrsA2B For This Useful Post:

Alittleray  (29-02-2016),Blinky76  (29-02-2016),Hopeful1975  (28-02-2016),JulieMalooley  (28-02-2016),Lolly99  (28-02-2016),miss macy  (29-02-2016),MusicalGal  (28-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks twin mummies for your advice. I'm hungry for any information or experiences that will help get us thru the first year! I'm OK with mixed feeding if that's what it takes. I bf ds for 15mnths but will b happy to do whatever i can with twins.

I ordered the TwinZ pillow after reading it was the best $200 multiple mums had spent. It can be used for many other things than bf.

Nearly 32 weeks here and it's getting harder to do everyday tasks. We've been renovating like mad so poor hubby has been working a full day then coming home to do renos. Which leaves me to attend our 2yo. I've done too much this week. Too much lifting, walking, standing. ...we've had 2yo birthday parties nearly every weekend. Crazy. I need to back off next week. Will have dinner sorted in the mornings cos i run out of puff by mid afternoon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MusicalGal For This Useful Post:

JulieMalooley  (02-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    On feeding. ..i breastfed for a year but always did a bottle of formula at 7pm. I couldn't express at all so formula for that one feed a day allowed me to get a break from feeding and get a larger rest in the evening if my DH did that feed. I believe strongly that having that evening time "off" allowed me to get through the day and know that i had a break coming. I also think that my supply was less in the afternoon so that feed helped me to know that my girls were getting a full belly catch up if they happened to need it. We introduced this bottle at about 8 weeks from memory and never had any issues with it affecting breastfeeding or causing confusion etc. My sister in law did the same with her twins and never had a problem. I also liked the bonus of being able to give a bottle if i really needed to when in public as i couldn't breastfeed two discreetly so would usually find private places but if it wasn't possible at an event, the bubs were used to a bottle too. I always breastfed at the same time using a "My Brestfriend" feeding pillow.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NAT2561 For This Useful Post:

Alittleray  (29-02-2016)