+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bath time with grommets...help please!!

Dd just had her first set of grommets fitted 2 weeks ago ( she's only 15 months old) and baths are driving me crazy. ATM I'm using cotton wool smeared with Vaseline in her ears every bath ( as advised by surgeon) and a shampoo visor too when washing her hair.

The cotton just falls out all the time and is a pita so need advice on what others have used. I've seen wetsuit type material bands that go around head and over ears do these work? And also are reusable ear plugs any good?

Any advice appreciated and where to buy too pls. Thanks😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't help too much because I was a bit older so didn't need anything when in bath, but I used the reusable ear plugs for washing my hair in the shower and they were great

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 4.5 now and has grommets (well 1, the other one fell out and now she has a permanent hole in her eardrum).

Hair washing is still horrible, although just recently she's stopped screaming hysterically and instead almost shakes in fear while its happening. We use Doc's Pro plugs in her ears, then a wetsuit headband over the top and then a concertina shower cap. The Doc's Pro plugs we got from our ENT's office and they come in different sizes and they fitted DD. I've found them pretty good. Obviously with your DD being a lot younger than mine, they might be more difficult to put in and for her to get used to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our ENT told us not to bother with ear plugs, cotton wool, etc. For bath or shower. Only for swimming pools. DD has had no issues with this and is on to her third set of grommets.

We use docs pro plugs for swimming like PP - they are fantastic. We got them from our ENT this time around but last time ordered them from a surf shop. We also have the ear band things (wetsuit material) but don't wear them now DD knows to leave them in.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    Our ENT told us not to bother with ear plugs, cotton wool, etc. For bath or shower. Only for swimming pools. DD has had no issues with this and is on to her third set of grommets.

We use docs pro plugs for swimming like PP - they are fantastic. We got them from our ENT this time around but last time ordered them from a surf shop. We also have the ear band things (wetsuit material) but don't wear them now DD knows to leave them in.
    Its weird the different advice given. I wonder why? How do u wash hair if u don't mind me asking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Its weird the different advice given. I wonder why? How do u wash hair if u don't mind me asking?
    It is weird! We just wash hair without anything in her ears and then rinse with her sitting/standing. We tend not to let her lie down with ears submerged if we have washed hair though as the water is dirty.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were told by our ENT to use a large piece of blue tac, bigger at the outside of the ear and it will keep the water out. My son was only 14 months old and we had lots of trouble keeping anything in his ears so we would not let him lay down in the bath and washed hair in the shower with blue tac in. He had them in for 2 years and never had any trouble or infections

10. The Following User Says Thank You to char82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where can I buy these pro plugs? Can only find them online?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by char82 View Post
    We were told by our ENT to use a large piece of blue tac, bigger at the outside of the ear and it will keep the water out. My son was only 14 months old and we had lots of trouble keeping anything in his ears so we would not let him lay down in the bath and washed hair in the shower with blue tac in. He had them in for 2 years and never had any trouble or infections
    I second blue tac!! We spent a fortune on different types of ear plugs and blue tac was the best!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm worried about the blu tak going down into her ears...any tips?