Closed Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I've been thinking about this a lot, and I really think that the intent of a thread is almost always clear in the OP, and we all need to be aware of that and respect it.

If someone asks for advice on implementing SOS because they have definitely decided to use it, then those of us who dislike SOS should maybe suck it up and not comment. If someone posts a thread saying they believe sleep behaviour is genetic and they'd like to hear from people that agree, then those of us that disagree should maybe suck it up and not comment. Threads asking for opinions/experience on (for example) CIO, CC, SOS, shush-pat - well, we all have opinions and can contribute. If someone posts and says they are at their wit's end about sleep, feeding, anything else, and are seeking ideas, then maybe we can be compassionate and offer support and share what has worked for us and give everyone else space to do the same.

It's really not rocket science.

ETA and perhaps we can all agree to just give each other a clean slate on this topic, otherwise all sleep threads are just going to go the same way.
    This is exactly how I feel!! I feel that most of us are regular contributors and know the intent of an OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    No not really. Others have said it better than I can.
    The thread we are looking for to be sticky is a thread that is not a dicuss it or a vent for people to come in and try fix it but this it is normal for kids not sleep through by X age. A support thread. Your not a bad parent and there's nothing wrong with your child if they aren't sleeping through.
    Yes perhaps something titled "Sleep is for the weak - a support thread" (it's a working title obviously ) and sticky it. I think just in the general sleep section would be fine.

I think at this point any sort of discussion thread would be utterly pointless because it just turns into a pi$$ing contest from both sides of the fence (as demonstrated by this thread both before and after its reopening) and any useful information just gets lost in the "noise".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (15-08-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Yes perhaps something titled "Sleep is for the weak - a support thread" (it's a working title obviously ) and sticky it. I think just in the general sleep section would be fine.
    Or Sleeping Like A Baby?!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes! But it doesn't involve boiling the kettle and making a cup of tea.
    Did you actually read what I said? I said that new parents need to see a conversation around sleep that is informative so they can make their own decisions. Eg my child is 5 months old and waking every hour, I'm soooooo tired and I need more sleep, I nearly crashed my car. I don't like listening to my baby cry, what can I do!? So they seek advice from the hub. They need to see the non-sleep trainers, the gentle sleep trainers, the moderate sleep trainers and the staunch sleep trainers discussing the pros and cons of each so that said mother can make an informed decision. So that said mother can either decide to sleep train without being told how 'horrible it is to suggest you leave your baby to cry while you have a cup of tea' or 'you MUST sleep train or your baby will NEVER sleep'. They need a safe place to see an adult discussion about what options are out there without letting ANY mother feel vilified and that can only happen if people can share their opinions and what works for them and their families in a safe and non judgemental way.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (15-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Or Sleeping Like A Baby?!
    Ooh I like that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've been thinking about this a lot, and I really think that the intent of a thread is almost always clear in the OP, and we all need to be aware of that and respect it.
    I respectfully disagree. I've found people are increasingly either

1) posting generic OP's and then adding posting criteria at a later point when then thread goes in a direction they don't like
    or
    2) creating a thread with the aim of carrying on an argument from a previous thread, hiding the 'intent' in line 49/50 of the OP of contradictory information and then playing the 'you've breached the intent of the thread' card when the thread doesn't go the way they wanted .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

1) posting generic OP's and then adding posting criteria at a later point when then thread goes in a direction they don't like
    or
    2) creating a thread with the aim of carrying on an argument from a previous thread, hiding the 'intent' in line 49/50 of the OP of contradictory information and then playing the 'you've breached the intent of the thread' card when the thread doesn't go the way they wanted .
    Really? For sleep threads specifically? That's what I'm talking about. To me they've always been pretty clear. There's always a tension between 'hey, let's keep on topic' and 'hey, let's let a thread evolve', but in general I think it's pretty obvious. But if not, then I think people should/could clarify intent and that will solve that issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

or
    I can only speak for myself but I can honestly say that I genuinely assumed that people would understand the intent of my OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Really? For sleep threads specifically? That's what I'm talking about.
    Yes. Sleep Thread included. Any BH thread where the deadly mix of women, hormones and different opinions exists.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Well, I did say *almost always*, so if you want we can have a semantic discussion :-) But surely you would agree with my point that in the cases when the intent is clear that we can all be adult enough to respect that?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post: