+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is my 9mo. Takes me 45 minutes of a morning to dress her. That isnt including changing her nappy. And we use cloth nappies with snaps. So harder to do while she is rolling around acting like a fruitloop.
    I make a game of it and also hand her whatever is in reach that will stop her rolling and crawling around the change table. She hates lying down so I sit or stand her up when her nappy is done to dress her. Distraction is definitely the key.
    As for discipline as Vp said I dont think there is such a thing for a baby. While he is getting a reaction its a fun game. Redirect his attention when he bites to something else and just a firm no. He will pick it up.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default How to restrain 13 month old for a nappy change

@heartstringz I hope you can take some solace in the number of hubbers who have posted here who have had similar experiences. Your son is normal, please don't take his behaviour personally. I know it's frustrating but he's just doing his thing.

PPP have a free podcast with lots of episodes, so if you are struggling to find real people to support you that might be a help to you.

I'm going to be honest, I feel concerned that you called your son horrible. Was it just a vent? Because I totally understand if it was, but if you feel it long term you really must bite the bullet for his sake and your own and seek help for how you're feeling. There is no shame in it, but you really need to try and stop putting out roadblocks and bite the bullet. Anxiety bites, I know that, and I am hugely empathetic to how you are feeling.

ETA something that really helped me in my teaching: the days when I feel despondent about my job are generally the days where I have walked in expecting 100% compliance and enthusiasm and no misbehaviour. When I go to work anticipating what may happen, I not only prepare for it better (like hand out the atlases instead of expecting a group of kids to get up and get their own without jostling each other/stopping to chat etc), but don't feel so upset when things don't go exactly to plan. Your son sounds like he is very spirited and strong willed like my own, and while this can be extremely challenging, I believe it also bodes well for his strength of character as he grows up.

I know it's a cliche but they really do grow up so fast.
    Last edited by harvs; 08-08-2015 at 12:01.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (08-08-2015),BettyV  (08-08-2015),DreamyMummy  (08-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (08-08-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (08-08-2015),misho  (08-08-2015),TheGooch  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Come late into this and haven't read all the posts yet.
    For me it easier to sit on a chair and change them on my lap. Have everything ready including a few wipes already out.

Add I no talk to him before and during. Tell what you are going to /are doing. Talk about what great thing you are going to together after.
    If he bites. Tell in firm voice "no we don't bite". move him so it harder to bite again.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 08-08-2015 at 12:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used stickers for my son when he was at that stage. I used to put them on his hands and he would try to unstick them. I do remember looking longingly at the duct tape in the laundry cupboard at one stage, but decided it was probably not a great idea to stick him to the table lol!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

JR03  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default How to restrain 13 month old for a nappy change

Does your DH have the same trouble changing him? How does he handle it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might get flamed for this but we used to change him on the floor and sit with our legs out in front and used them to hold his arms down if distraction with something (we found an old TV remote and took the batteries out and he thought that was great) didn't work. Let me stress we never hurt him, just used it as a block for him to roll around and grab things.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

misho  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I might get flamed for this but we used to change him on the floor and sit with our legs out in front and used them to hold his arms down if distraction with something (we found an old TV remote and took the batteries out and he thought that was great) didn't work. Let me stress we never hurt him, just used it as a block for him to roll around and grab things.
    No flaming. I've done this too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    No judgement.

Nappies, brushing teeth, giving panadol... All required pinning the kid down at some stage in this house!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    No judgement.

Nappies, brushing teeth, giving panadol... All required pinning the kid down at some stage in this house!
    Here too!!! And wiping conjunctivitis eyes and snotty noses!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

misho  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We give our dd something's she's not allowed to have usually. Keys, powder, packet of wipes etc. she's 16mths and we have been changing her on the floor since 6 mths old