+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    The only time our school locks things is after hours or during a lock down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    My son is Kindy in NSW and the toilet is in the same row of classrooms as his class. Also there is a toilet in the classroom. Even if there wasn't I don't worry about this type of thing. I have other things I worry about but not this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our kids school was rebuilt in 2010 and included two toilets between each adjoining pair of class rooms. There's also 2x outside sets for the kids to access during lunch/recess. Breaks are not scheduled.

I find (even as an adult) the idea of scheduled toilet breaks distressing. I'd be upset if something like that were forced on my kids.
    I'm not worried about security, in a general/daily sense at their school either, they've set it up pretty good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumat View Post
    Our kids school was rebuilt in 2010 and included two toilets between each adjoining pair of class rooms. There's also 2x outside sets for the kids to access during lunch/recess. Breaks are not scheduled.

I find (even as an adult) the idea of scheduled toilet breaks distressing. I'd be upset if something like that were forced on my kids.
    I'm not worried about security, in a general/daily sense at their school either, they've set it up pretty good.
    I'm a teacher and have scheduled breaks, can't go during class time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumat View Post

Yep, it can really suck. Especially post having babies and the pelvic floor isn't that crash hot...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm a teacher and have scheduled breaks, can't go during class time.
    Does this mean of a child asks to go during class, they are told no and they must wait?

DS1 starts prep next year and it never occurred to me to ask the school their policy on going to the toilet. I assumed a child would be able to go when they need to go. Like @LoveLivesHere mentioned about her son, DS1 when he says he has to go, has to go. He can't hold on. It's apparently a trait from my father's side. I'll be ensuring DS1 is allowed to go when he needs to, but I'll not like it off he has to be given special consideration to do so, as it will single him out. What a bizarre concept. I don't ever recall not being allowed to go to the toilet when needed during primary or secondary school. We just excused ourselves and went (with a buddy in primary).

I'm pretty certain the toilets at DS1's school are in the same buildings as each "school" ie. Junior, middle and senior (it's a reasonably large primary school).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (02-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Does this mean of a child asks to go during class, they are told no and they must wait?

DS1 starts prep next year and it never occurred to me to ask the school their policy on going to the toilet. I assumed a child would be able to go when they need to go. Like @LoveLivesHere mentioned about her son, DS1 when he says he has to go, has to go. He can't hold on. It's apparently a trait from my father's side. I'll be ensuring DS1 is allowed to go when he needs to, but I'll not like it off he has to be given special consideration to do so, as it will single him out. What a bizarre concept. I don't ever recall not being allowed to go to the toilet when needed during primary or secondary school. We just excused ourselves and went (with a buddy in primary).

I'm pretty certain the toilets at DS1's school are in the same buildings as each "school" ie. Junior, middle and senior (it's a reasonably large primary school).
    Same here ^^^^

My dd is starting prep next year and I never thought to ask about this!

I always remember putting my hand up, asking the teacher to go and then we would just go ourselves, individually.

Controlling when they go seems really odd!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I didn't say I don't let kids go, just responding to the pp who said that she couldn't go on a schedule. Many people don't have a choice in their job.

For the younger kids, I always let them go but for years 3-6 when we've just had recess or lunch (with a 5 minute warning bell before end of breaks to remind kids to get a drink and go to toilet) and they ask to go 5 mins after the bell. No way. Unless they have a medical condition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD's school was built about 6 years ago and there are toilets attached to the prep, 1 & 2, 3 & 4 classrooms and the kids can go when they want, without leaving the building.

The Grade 5 & 6 kids are in a separate building and the toilets are located between the two classrooms. The kids walk out of the class room, onto the deck, and into the toilets.

We dont have to worry about the issues previously mentioned, which after reading this thread, I'm glad about.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I didn't say I don't let kids go, just responding to the pp who said that she couldn't go on a schedule. Many people don't have a choice in their job.

For the younger kids, I always let them go but for years 3-6 when we've just had recess or lunch (with a 5 minute warning bell before end of breaks to remind kids to get a drink and go to toilet) and they ask to go 5 mins after the bell. No way. Unless they have a medical condition.
    I still don't get that though. I'm 36 and still get caught out, getting into the car and driving off and a few minutes later realising I need to go to the toilet and I should have before I left home but didn't because at that moment I didn't need to. I don't know, I get that there are situations where you just need to hold on, but I don't like the idea of a child being told no when they ask to go to the toilet. I do understand though that there are some kids who just take the pi$$ (pun absolutely intended) and ask to go just to get out of class.