+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Reccomend me a Sydney suburb!

Dh and I are toying with the idea of relocating to Sydney some time in the future.

I know very little about the city so would love recommendations on affordable family suburbs!

I would work near kingswood and Dh potentially in North Ryde.

So what are some suburbs with a reasonable commute to these places?

My main criteria is a good public primary school for DS. Safe with low crime. Family friendly. Affordable (we would rent first).

Also, what are suburbs/areas to avoid?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do either of you drive?
    I would personally be avoiding kingswood (personal experience) to live and send to school.
    It's about an hour and a half train from kingswood/penrith to North Ryde If DH is looking to commute that way.
    I would be looking at suburbs such as penrith/South Penrith, Glenmore park, regentville, Jordan springs, emu plains. I guess it depends how far you would be looking to travel too you could potentially look in the lower mountains like blaxland/glenbrook.

I can't help you out with schools unfortunately as my son is under school age :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Glenmore Park is nice and fairly affordable. It would be a bit of a commute to north ryde though. Some suburbs in Blacktown are quite nice and not far from the much more expensive hills district, and the commute wouldn't be too bad for either of you (assuming you'd be driving to kingswood and hubby would either drive or get the bus). If you're looking to buy I highly recommend that area from an investment point of view.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Glenmore Park is terrible for traffic in the mornings which may add to your commute.
    I currently live in Kingswood and it's not as awful as some people think. Getting to North Ryde would take awhile from here though.
    I would love to live in Glenbrook (lower mountains) it has great schools and a lovely community.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in Glenmore Park; if you look in the newer section (Mulgoa Rise, Glenmore Ridge or Bradley Heights) there isn't as much of an issue of traffic as we have another entry/exit point that flows much better then the other 2 entry/exit points. The big benefit is that you are minutes from the m4, if you look at the other end of Penrith then you have to get a good run through the lights along the northern road before getting on the m4 (we have had friends comment how long it takes them to get on the m4 from Cranebrook; which is next to Jordan springs)
    It takes dh 30-40mins to get to work in the hills district (going m4/m7); he allows himself an hour and a bit when going to Rhodes every 2nd Monday.
    We love the area; we have often thought about where we would move if we wanted to, and we can't think of another area we would like as much (with the exception of going to acreage).
    Some of the older sections are a little bit like a rabbit warren though so keep that in mind if you start looking in here!
    There's plenty of parks, we have had no issues with safety (I will walk my dog at 10-11pm in summer); can't really comment on schools at this point as both my kids are too little for all that, but we have heard great things about a few of them! Then it's only 15-20 mins to Penrith cbd depending on traffic. It's perfect for our lifestyle, but it depends on what you are looking for!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FrothyFrog View Post
    Glenmore Park is terrible for traffic in the mornings which may add to your commute.
    I currently live in Kingswood and it's not as awful as some people think. Getting to North Ryde would take awhile from here though.
    I would love to live in Glenbrook (lower mountains) it has great schools and a lovely community.
    Glenbrook is lovely. when DS is old enough we are sending him to the schools here.

We used to live on the border of penrith/kingswood and I was just commenting from my experience obviously I don't know the full story so didn't want to say much.

Glenmore park isn't that bad to get out if you are taking the mulgoa exit before 7.30 otherwise give yourself an extra 10 minutes commute time (which isn't that bad for me considering we used to live in parramatta where it would take way too long to get anywhere at peak hour)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrazelna View Post
    Glenbrook is lovely. when DS is old enough we are sending him to the schools here.

We used to live on the border of penrith/kingswood and I was just commenting from my experience obviously I don't know the full story so didn't want to say much.

Glenmore park isn't that bad to get out if you are taking the mulgoa exit before 7.30 otherwise give yourself an extra 10 minutes commute time (which isn't that bad for me considering we used to live in parramatta where it would take way too long to get anywhere at peak hour)
    It is true there are bad parts but I haven't found it to be as bad as I thought it would be prior to living here. There's bad parts to every suburb though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone! I will look into these areas