+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Older people and their opinions they just can't keep to themselves.

So I was waiting in line at the bank today with all three kids. Dd who is 5 turns to me and says "mum can you buy me a new phone?" My reaction was
    "ha! No way kiddo!" (She has my old phone which has a small crack in the screen and she can only play games on it.)
    Ok. So the old lady in front of me turns around and says, "well that was probably the worst thing you could do, buying her a phone."
    Hmmm righto. So I say, "yes well it's my old phone and she is my child so I will choose if she has one or not."
    At this point there are lots of people turning around to have a sticky beak. THEN old lady turns back around and says - "well that's the problem with kids these days (looking my kids up and down), they don't get outside and play."
    So I say- "mine do, they love being outside."
    Old lady then gives me a half smile and peers inside the pram where dd 6months is dressed head to toe in pink. "What do you have in there?" she asks. "What do you mean?" I ask. "Well what do you have a boy or girl?" Old lady asks. "She is a girl." I say.
    Old lady turns around and continues to wait.
    Seriously? Seriously? I get that DD sounded like a spoiled brat asking for a new phone, that's why I cut her down straight away. That old lady had no idea about what my children do and don't do but she still felt the need to voice her opinion about "kids today." So freaking judgmental. I felt like saying "that's the problem with older people today, they don't think before speaking."

Just made me so
    Ahhh! End of rant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What springs to mind is that saying "opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one".

I completely understand how furious you would have been, I would have too. But you know what, you know what really goes on in your family and you don't need to take an ounce of what she said on board. My grandmother-in-law is 90+ and has made the decision that she is going to say whatever she likes and that at her age no one has the right to tell her she can't - man has she come out with some rippers!! It's like they are doing the life cycle and old age takes them back to being toddlers with no filters

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (10-07-2015),Mod-Wise Enough (10-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah (11-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahaha that's what I was saying to dh this evening. It's like some of them lose all manners when they hit a certain age. lol. I wonder if I will be like that when I'm older. Geez I hope not! Most older people I come across are lovely but some are just horrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    What springs to mind is that saying "opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one".

I completely understand how furious you would have been, I would have too. But you know what, you know what really goes on in your family and you don't need to take an ounce of what she said on board. My grandmother-in-law is 90+ and has made the decision that she is going to say whatever she likes and that at her age no one has the right to tell her she can't - man has she come out with some rippers!! It's like they are doing the life cycle and old age takes them back to being toddlers with no filters
    That is so true.

I had my fair share of run in with old crappy people who think they know it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post

My grandmother is 91, lives by herself, has lunch dates almost every day with friends, on no medication what so ever, basically she kicks a$$ but oh my, she comes out with some things I shudder at. No filter at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think they figure that the older they get, the more license they have to say whatever they want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I kinda look forward to being really old and saying whatever the fu3k I want - I realise this probably makes me evil.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum (10-07-2015),DailyDiversion (10-07-2015),dollypops (11-07-2015),DrDrakeRamoray (11-07-2015),Frankenmum (11-07-2015),ICanDream (10-07-2015),Mod-Wise Enough (11-07-2015),Mokeybear (11-07-2015),MsViking (11-07-2015),Phony (11-07-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah (11-07-2015),sunnyflower (11-07-2015),Tamtam (11-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wonder what makes us young'uns bite our tongues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    because we know they can't help it. they're old and out of touch and really don't know any different. so you partly feel sorry for them?? who knows. I guess if some old bag was all up in my face if probably struggle to bite my tongue 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbasmum View Post
    I wonder what makes us young'uns bite our tongues?
    I don't know but I've left tooth marks in my tongue of late!