+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started donating at 16. It was habit for me, cause my mum used to take me along with her. I remember waiting patiently with a new sticker book while my mum donated when i was about 3.
    I haven't donated for nearly 4 years because I've been pregnant and/or breastfeeding, but will be back to it once my bub is a bit older

I know this is an old thread, but such a good conversation to keep going!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I want to but I'm not allowed due to having seizures. Good job to everyone else though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMum View Post
    I want to but I'm not allowed due to having seizures. Good job to everyone else though.
    Have you been banned (for lack of a better word!!) for good because of epilepsy? I was banned for 3 years because of unexplained seizures, but once I was 3 yrs seizure free, they let me start donating again. I had to stop again after I had some biopsies taken so haven't donated in a while now.

I feel like I should call them up and see if I can donate again. A friend of mine was told to not donate while she was TTC but I could probably fit in another couple of donations before starting IVF. I was donating plasma and platelets when I had to stop so could donate more frequently. I was one of the few B+ donors who could donate platelets in the Brisbane centre apparently, so I wish I could keep going!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I used to donate regularly in high school after one of my best friends had numerous transfusions due to major back surgery and complications. I haven't donated since I left school though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never received blood and I have never donated

I have no idea why! I'm not scared of needles and love to give. So I feel really stupid that I haven't. To be honest, I just never thought of it pre-children (I was such an immature person pre-kids) and Since being pregnant with my first I've been pretty much pregnant or breastfeeding ever since (4 kids in 6 years).

Once I've finished feeding this baby, my 4th and last, I really need to get onto this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Do you donate blood? Have you ever needed Blood

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1446445013.936279.jpg
    Thank you to the person who donated these platelets ❤️

Also, if you have a rare blood type, don't feel put off at all. My DD is type B+ (same as me), and if it's available they do use that type (as you can see here!). The more the merrier I say!

Edit: actually thank you to the FOUR people who donated! Just noticed on the package that it says 'made from four donations'

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (26-11-2015),DJ Nette  (02-11-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (02-11-2015),SSecret Squirrel  (02-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd like to donate, but I lived in England during the exclusion period so am not eligible.

ETA I am eternally grateful to the selfless people to who do donate. A blood transfusion once saved the life of one my children.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 02-11-2015 at 18:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to donate but I have shocking veins . I can only get blood tests taken from near my knuckle so donating is out of the question.

I had to have blood products after my hysterectomy and am so very grateful to the donors

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you to all who donate. I receive IVIG every four weeks as my immune system no longer produces enough antibodies so each month I receive antibodies from blood and plasma donations.
    It can take up to 24 donations each month just for the amount I receive so thank you everyone who donates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Have you been banned (for lack of a better word!!) for good because of epilepsy? I was banned for 3 years because of unexplained seizures, but once I was 3 yrs seizure free, they let me start donating again. I had to stop again after I had some biopsies taken so haven't donated in a while now.

I feel like I should call them up and see if I can donate again. A friend of mine was told to not donate while she was TTC but I could probably fit in another couple of donations before starting IVF. I was donating plasma and platelets when I had to stop so could donate more frequently. I was one of the few B+ donors who could donate platelets in the Brisbane centre apparently, so I wish I could keep going!
    They didn't give me a time frame- just not allowed. I have had seizures within the last 3 years but might relook at it after that.

Good job on donating- it is really important.