+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I know of one Aoife and her Dad was amazed when I pronounced her name correctly. She has a sister named Caoimhe which they pronounce it Kee-va. I had never heard of her name so I did have to ask how it was pronounced.
    Yeah it seems Kee-va is the Anglicised pronunciation. Whereas the Gaelic "true" pronunciation is Kwee-va. Was just funny that the family I met had been told this but ignored it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Yeah it seems Kee-va is the Anglicised pronunciation. Whereas the Gaelic "true" pronunciation is Kwee-va. Was just funny that the family I met had been told this but ignored it.
    that's a bit similar to a family I know that has a child called Javier and even though they knew it was pronounced Har-vee-air, they decided to pronounce it to jay-vee-uh (rhymes with Xavier)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    that's a bit similar to a family I know that has a child called Javier and even though they knew it was pronounced Har-vee-air, they decided to pronounce it to jay-vee-uh (rhymes with Xavier)
    Haha, yeah I wince slightly every time I say the girl's name. Keeva suits her though, so I don't know why they felt the need to spell it Caoimhe (which is sort of a different name).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know any Aoife's. I know an Aisling and a Caoimhe, they are both Irish though. If there wasn't any family heritage I don't think I'd do it, it's not worth the difficulties IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There is also the accent difference from different regions in Ireland - my son's name is pronounced differently depending on where people are from.

Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I love it, H loves it, but he knows how silly people are and doesn't want to explain it over and over. I'm Irish btw.

My name is easy and there really is only two ways of saying it (with an 'ay' sound or and 'ah' sound- I use the 'ay') but people come up with all sorts of stuff.
    I've had to look at my name written down a few times and wonder where they are seeing all these other letters... My name has 4 letters!

ETA: there's a Caoimhe at the school. Irish name, Aussie family. It's supposed to be pronounces kwee-va, but they say it kee-va. When they learned I was Irish they said "Oh you must have no problem with her name". I then explained and they said, "oops, the dr was right". LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have to spell my surname, my kids will have to spell their first names. Spelling names doesn't bother me but explaining pronunciation does.
    If I read that name I wouldn't have a clue how to say it, so it's a no for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love it! My family is Irish though so I'd have no problems with pronunciation/spelling. But my son has a very popular anglo name, incredibly simple to spell or say, and I still get asked to spell it! So just go with what you love and don't worry about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the name. I once looked after a little girl from Ireland called Saoirse which I also love but dh refused to let me use!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    I love the name. I once looked after a little girl from Ireland called Saoirse which I also love but dh refused to let me use!!
    Saoirse is my fave girls name

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have never met an Aoife in real life.

It will confuse some people, but these days even the most standard names need to be spelled out because of the modern trend to use non-traditional spelling.