+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    15
    Reviews
    0

    Default Self Settling

    What is the general age to start self settling? DD2 is 8 weeks..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,670
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked
    247
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started at 8 weeks with my first as she was taking 1 hour to rock to sleep and then only napping on me in the day. My DS is only 2 weeks old...he is still so sleepy so I'm not self settling yet, but if he goes down the same path as DD I'll start around 6-8 weeks

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicsta83 For This Useful Post:

    rubytuesday24  (13-06-2015)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,517
    Thanks
    2,556
    Thanked
    2,035
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Self Settling

    Edited: never mind. I think I misunderstood your question.
    Last edited by BettyV; 13-06-2015 at 19:03.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    15
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicsta83 View Post
    I started at 8 weeks with my first as she was taking 1 hour to rock to sleep and then only napping on me in the day. My DS is only 2 weeks old...he is still so sleepy so I'm not self settling yet, but if he goes down the same path as DD I'll start around 6-8 weeks
    Nicsta83.. Yes thats exactly what my DD is doing.. Im currently trying to rock her to sleep at the moment. How do you start self settling?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,396
    Thanks
    5,947
    Thanked
    4,955
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rubytuesday24 View Post
    Nicsta83.. Yes thats exactly what my DD is doing.. Im currently trying to rock her to sleep at the moment. How do you start self settling?
    I would start by making sure bub is full, warm and burped. Then have a short routine like a book, 2 nursery rhymes, into swaddle/wrap, put on some white noise, cuddles then lay bub down in their cot or basinet, pat or rub them in their tummy as you make shhhhhh noises and continue until they fall asleep. Do this for all sleeps and hopefully bub should fall asleep quicker every couple of days.

    Then after a week or two, try following the exact routine, leave the room after you put them down and see what they do. If they still can't put themselves to sleep go back to patting and shushing but maybe slowly stop doing one of those things before they're asleep and slowly wean them off each one at a time until you're just sitting with them. Try leaving them once a day to see if they've cottoned on that the routine indicates to them it's time to sleep.

    Good luck!

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

    rubytuesday24  (13-06-2015),ScubaGal  (08-07-2015)

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,879
    Thanks
    5,206
    Thanked
    3,905
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rubytuesday24 View Post
    What is the general age to start self settling? DD2 is 8 weeks..
    I wouldn't bother till 12mths +.

    I fed to sleep then cuddled/patted. Now I hold my kids hands.

  9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (21-06-2015),BettyV  (13-06-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (26-06-2015),btmacxxx  (13-06-2015),Busy-Bee  (21-06-2015),ScubaGal  (08-07-2015)

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    15
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I would start by making sure bub is full, warm and burped. Then have a short routine like a book, 2 nursery rhymes, into swaddle/wrap, put on some white noise, cuddles then lay bub down in their cot or basinet, pat or rub them in their tummy as you make shhhhhh noises and continue until they fall asleep. Do this for all sleeps and hopefully bub should fall asleep quicker every couple of days.

    Then after a week or two, try following the exact routine, leave the room after you put them down and see what they do. If they still can't put themselves to sleep go back to patting and shushing but maybe slowly stop doing one of those things before they're asleep and slowly wean them off each one at a time until you're just sitting with them. Try leaving them once a day to see if they've cottoned on that the routine indicates to them it's time to sleep.

    Good luck!
    Thank you A-Squared 😊 i will give it a try

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,670
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked
    247
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'll respond in a bit just feeding DS and hopeless typing with my left hand 😉 but it was along the lines of get her to fall sleep in her bassinet as a first step, and have a consistent routine but I'll come back

  12. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8,396
    Thanks
    5,947
    Thanked
    4,955
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    How's it all going OP?

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    15
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    How's it all going OP?
    Still having to rock her to sleep..


 

Similar Threads

  1. Self Settling isn't working
    By Nikki Chamberlain in forum Issues with Family Members
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-08-2015, 13:25
  2. Help with self settling
    By Gracie81 in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 23-02-2015, 10:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
SoftmatsSoftmats specialises in safe, non-toxic, and durable play mats. The international Premium Dwinguler™ Play Mats and ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›