+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanks
    446
    Thanked
    888
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Formula for daycare questions

    DS is almost 9 months and has been bf all that time. He is going into daycare 2 days a week soon and I don't have a safe place to pump or store breastmilk at work (I'm in labs all day).

    I am considering using formula for day feeds on the days he is at daycare - probably start with 2x bottles. Will this affect my supply though? I would still be giving him 2-3 bf per day before and after daycare/night time.

    My supply has always been excellent and he will be breastfed for all other feeds the rest of the time so I'm just wondering if this will affect my supply at all?

    I also don't know which formula to use. Is it possible to buy small tins to try before committing to a large tin that he may not drink? He's never had it before.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,880
    Thanks
    5,204
    Thanked
    3,905
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    DS is almost 9 months and has been bf all that time. He is going into daycare 2 days a week soon and I don't have a safe place to pump or store breastmilk at work (I'm in labs all day).

    I am considering using formula for day feeds on the days he is at daycare - probably start with 2x bottles. Will this affect my supply though? I would still be giving him 2-3 bf per day before and after daycare/night time.

    My supply has always been excellent and he will be breastfed for all other feeds the rest of the time so I'm just wondering if this will affect my supply at all?

    I also don't know which formula to use. Is it possible to buy small tins to try before committing to a large tin that he may not drink? He's never had it before.

    Thanks
    You can definitely only feed when you are with Bub and use formula otherwise. As you have a good supply it shouldn't matter. First tho check with your HR. When I tutored at uni they had to accommodate my lactating self by providing me a clean room to express and I stored the milk in the lunch room fridge in a cooler bag.

    Additionally you can get sachets of formula to see which one your Bub takes to. From memory bellamys is popular with most by babies.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

    Pearlygirl  (08-06-2015),Wise Enough  (09-06-2015)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    3
    Reviews
    0
    subbing

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,480
    Thanks
    633
    Thanked
    795
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did this and it worked out great. DS was in care two days so I gave formula those two days and bf every other feed. Just make sure you get your little one used to the taste of formula before you go, it took my DS ages to take formula. Good luck.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

    Pearlygirl  (08-06-2015)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,689
    Thanks
    446
    Thanked
    888
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    You can definitely only feed when you are with Bub and use formula otherwise. As you have a good supply it shouldn't matter. First tho check with your HR. When I tutored at uni they had to accommodate my lactating self by providing me a clean room to express and I stored the milk in the lunch room fridge in a cooler bag.

    Additionally you can get sachets of formula to see which one your Bub takes to. From memory bellamys is popular with most by babies.

    Thanks R&A - I know that uni needs to provide me with somewhere to pump, but my office is in a lab, and I actually have nowhere safe/clean (safe enough to satisfy me anyway) to store the pump so I know it's clean etc. Also it could easily take 1-2 hours out of my day pumping 2 sessions which I'd rather not do. Because I use my pump at home too I'm not super keen on taking it into that environment. I'm a bit paranoid because of all the yuck things that go in and out of my lab.

    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    I did this and it worked out great. DS was in care two days so I gave formula those two days and bf every other feed. Just make sure you get your little one used to the taste of formula before you go, it took my DS ages to take formula. Good luck.
    Oh no I hope I haven't left it too late!! He starts in 3 weeks and I haven't thought about that. Which formula did you use? Will go get some to try tomorrow and see how he goes :/

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,602
    Thanks
    7,498
    Thanked
    6,297
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    You can definitely only feed when you are with Bub and use formula otherwise. As you have a good supply it shouldn't matter. First tho check with your HR. When I tutored at uni they had to accommodate my lactating self by providing me a clean room to express and I stored the milk in the lunch room fridge in a cooler bag.

    Additionally you can get sachets of formula to see which one your Bub takes to. From memory bellamys is popular with most by babies.
    The only sachets I found were s26. I looked everywhere for different brands.

    When I mix fed I used karicare aptimal gold +ha but it ended up upsetting her tummy. We now use s26 comfort.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

    Pearlygirl  (08-06-2015)

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Morphett vale
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    150
    Reviews
    0
    May I ask why your daycare won't allow you to take the breastmilk to the daycare centre? Is your centre close to work. I'm not sure what country/city your situated, I'm currently studying my diploma in childcare. From what we've learnt there are centre policies regarding breast fed babies. The mother may bring stored milk in bottles or even are allowed to come to the centre to feed if the centre is on the working site. Breast milk can be frozen and thawed on the day.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,034
    Thanks
    2,185
    Thanked
    2,844
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Formula for daycare questions

    Quote Originally Posted by allykat111 View Post
    May I ask why your daycare won't allow you to take the breastmilk to the daycare centre? Is your centre close to work. I'm not sure what country/city your situated, I'm currently studying my diploma in childcare. From what we've learnt there are centre policies regarding breast fed babies. The mother may bring stored milk in bottles or even are allowed to come to the centre to feed if the centre is on the working site. Breast milk can be frozen and thawed on the day.
    It's not a daycare issue. The OP doesn't have anywhere to pump at work so there isn't any breastmilk to take to childcare.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,404
    Thanks
    3,275
    Thanked
    3,603
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Goats milk formula is meant to be very similar to breast milk and gentle on tummys. But very expensive!! $32 a tin roughly. Not so bad if you're only doing a couple of feeds a day.

    My suggestion for trying formula is start with the cheapest one first and see how it goes! I heard the Aldi one is good. I used Heinz Nurture with both girls which is apparently the same as the aldi one, till I needed to swap to the goats milk one.

    I work in a lab too and there's a room rest aside in the main offices as a maternity room, with a fridge and a couch. Not sure if your uni has anything similar but it can't hurt to ask.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Morphett vale
    Posts
    381
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    150
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    It's not a daycare issue. The OP doesn't have anywhere to pump at work so there isn't any breastmilk to take to childcare.
    I haven't used a pump before but have some friends who do and they just pump at home the night before or morning of and take it to care.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Preschool vs daycare
    By tubster in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-07-2016, 08:38
  2. New daycare, I'm not that happy...
    By SAgirl in forum General Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 23-01-2015, 22:28
  3. Lots of questions, I want to avoid switching to formula
    By A-Squared in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 30-11-2014, 10:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Baby U & The Wiggles - Toilet Training ProductsToilet training can be a testing time but Baby U is there to assist you and your toddler with the daunting task of ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›