+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I find some of the prices online higher than the instore prices. Well, that was last time I checked about a year ago anyway. Might have changed that since.

Things like what I'm doing now don't help lol. Noodles anyone 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've noticed that the big two supermarkets that cut the price of bread to like 85c are putting the 15c-30c difference on other things throughout the store thinking you won't notice.

Eg, bread was $1 for a while and for ages on 600mls of cream it was $2.20; now bread is 85c and the cream is $2.25; sometimes $2.30! This is the one I've noticed most; but I'm sure there are several other products that the difference has been applied to that most people would buy regularly.

Food in general has increased so much around here (& we are only an outer suburb of Melbourne; not like we are regional!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When i do food shopping i know I'll be a few hours so i will happily go to different shops just to save a few dollars as they are all in the same centre so i get the added exercise of walking around. Aldi officially now has the cheapest greek style yogurt. The fruit n veg shop i go to had it for $4.78 now Aldi have it for $3.99. Non special at coles/woolies its $6 on special its $5.

I buy in bulk when prices are good hence haven't had to buy toilet paper, shampoo and conditioner, fabric softener, antibacterial wipea, toilet cleaner, spray cleaner for nearly 3 months now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah it's crazy. Right when we need to count every cent too.
    (H still not working).

I got some lunch stuff today- wraps, tomatoes, oranges, tuna, and lettuce- and it cost me $17.65!! I have spent less on dinner!

ETA: we have two great local family-run f&v places near us. They are a little cheaper than coles/woolies for most stuff.

We used to go to 1 and get all f&v, and staples (pasta, rice, tinned veg, etc) from there once a month. And at 2 we would get meat and dairy. It really really helped.
    Cleaning supplies from aldi or reject shop, and top up bits and pieces from coles.

But we haven't had a car in a year. Aldi, etc, are 25+ mins from us by car. No more stocking up.

So while I know, buying in bulk from lots of place saves us heaps (think $300 a month!), it just doesn't happen.
    Last edited by DT75; 29-05-2015 at 13:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I find aldi is not as worth going to as it used to be.
    The supermarkets own brands at woolies & coles are pretty much the same cost as aldi's stuff and id have to drive further to get to aldi so i dont bother anymore.

Shopping in general i do agree is costing more all the time.

My pantry is currently overstocked so im refusing to go shopping till all the random stuff thats accumulated is eaten. (Milk, bread etc excepted)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm finding myself going to more and more different shops to try and get the cheapest stuff...Costco for bulk health foods, fruit and veg shop, local butcher (they do a weekly $50 pack which is 7.5kg of meat, get one a fortnight, it's great), Woolies for specialty green cleaning stuff and Aldi for everything else (cans, nuts, seeds, pet food, loo paper etc). Shopping has become a mammoth task, it's ridiculous.

I agree Aldi wasn't what it once was, I've noticed they remove an item for a while and replace it with a more expensive one later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    We'll make good use of the extra tins we bought over the next fortnight or 2 and I bought rice in bulk last time it was on special. I got stuff for bangers and mash tonight but our sausages cost $7 for 6 . They were $6 12 months ago. Still, the meal works out under $10, like most others and some even come in under $5.

I don't mind getting the select brand stuff in some things but there are others I'd rather not buy. I buy washing powder at Big W. They're the only place that stock the Duo in the 5kg boxes and it's usually $10-12. I use homebrand white vinegar as a fabric softener, buy whatever dish detergent is on special at the time and just the select brand $2 multipurpose spray for most other things. I spend so little on it that cleaning stuff barely registers in the budget.

there are a few things I know that need changing. I want to get a Soda****** because we go through at least 2 cartons of mineral water a fortnight and at $9 a carton that adds up (our tap water tastes like crap so we were buying that, I've now got the filter going but we got so use to having the fizzy water we now prefer it lol). I need to perfect the oat milk recipe and that would be a difference of about $2/lt and DH goes through about 6 of them a fortnight. I already make my own yogurt so it only costs me about $1/lt. Working on the dog's diet might save a bit too.

I'm sure there are other things too. I meal plan based on the things we have, plan out DS's school lunches with him and encourage him to use what we have. I make in bulk and freeze where I can. Ah well. It'll work out in the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolutely. We spend over $300 a week for 2 adults and DS3, that doesn't include eating out - which we don't do much. We do try and buy organic fruit & veg, quality meats & seafood though, so that's probably why we spend so much. I only shop at Coles/woollies fortnightly for Toilet paper etc as we try stick to fresh food mostly and do markets etc.
    If we are trying to save money we eat more vegetarian dishes as meat is the most expensive part. I think avoiding supermarkets does help though in some ways because you don't end up throwing unnecessary 'specials' in the trolley.
    It is expensive eating fresh whole food all the time. It annoys me how cheap junk food is in comparison too. I think there should be a 'fat tax' on junk food that is used to subsidise fresh fruit, veges and local meats etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Patience86  (01-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know how but our grocery bill is between $70-$90 a week 2 adults, 2kids. We stopped buying "snack" foods which dropped a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Aldi in my area is still really cheap so we go there for our main shopping, including some meat, buy our fruit and veg from the fruit and veg shop and anything that Aldi doesn't stock is bought at Woolworths, very rarely at Coles because they are the most expensive out of the bunch - hate Coles.

If you're looking to save money, you do need to go to different places, unfortunately, especially if you're taking advantage of specials. I'd rather stop off at 3 different places than be ripped off even more by 50-70 dollars.