+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Medicare rebates for private midwife

I am having to consider a private midwife in order to get continuity of care with my 3rd pregnancy, because my local birth centre won't accept me as a second time VBAC (first baby was c-section, second baby was VBAC in another birth centre).

I heard that I can access a private midwives and get medicare rebates for this. I would love to do this if I can afford it.

Does anyone know how much this would cost? I don't have a health care card and haven't reached the medicare safety net. So just normal rebates.

My other options are hiring a doula (again, dont know how expensive this is), or having a student midwife follow me.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bond Girl,
    This is an interesting thought - I found this resource:
    http://www.K-i-d-s-p-o-t.com.au/familyhealth/Pregnancy-Health-Midwives-and-the-new-Medicare-rebate+3891+184+article.htm

(remove the dashes..)

which would suggest it is possible to get rebates.
    Might be worth ringing or visiting your local medicare to ask them in person though.
    I however have to vouch for a student midwife (being one myself!) If you are located in Melbourne please feel free to PM me for some more info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm on the Gold Coast, but thank you.

I actually ended up searching the item numbers for private midwives that I found on:
    http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ma...se-pract-qanda

via the medicare benefits schedule website, and got info on all the rebates.

It shouldn't actually end up costing me that much, just a few hundred dollars. Less than $500 if I'm lucky. Just depends how many appointments I have really.

I've got an appointment in a couple of weeks with a local private midwife practice, and will ask for info on how many of each item number they typically use per pregnancy. So I can calculate more accurately.

But it looks promising.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I had a homebirth with two private midwives. The cost for appts will vary by midwife but mine were $90 (at their house) or $120 (at my house). From memory I got about 40-50% back for antenatal appts and 50-60% back for postnatal appts. I can't quite remember though exactly.

I had about 10 antenatal appts and 6 postnatal appts (to 6 weeks pp).

Eta. My middies also had an "on call fee" and a "birth fee". Each in the range of $800-900. You can't claim this back on medicare i believe but may be able to claim some back through phi depending on company/policy.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 28-05-2015 at 14:25.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (28-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bond Girl, You will need a referral from a GP obstetrician . Just double check with your midwife but you will def be able to get the medicare rebate for your appointments.