ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Oh by the way - if you're winging it and adapting a casserole recipe. Don't coat your meat in flour at the start as this will thicken the whole thing and it will stick to the bottom and catch. I either usually reduce sauces with the lid off at the end or thicken with a slurry later.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to emski72 For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (21-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by emski72 View Post
    Oh by the way - if you're winging it and adapting a casserole recipe. Don't coat your meat in flour at the start as this will thicken the whole thing and it will stick to the bottom and catch. I either usually reduce sauces with the lid off at the end or thicken with a slurry later.
    Ohh ok, thanks for the tip!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is an old thread. I am resurrecting it as I got a pressure cooker yesterday. So far, have cooked a beef curry (5 big meals straight into the freezer ) : it tasted fabulous. Now, its a thai yellow chicken and potato curry. It will be ready in 20 mins.
    I would love some recipe ideas.
    Mexican? Pork belly?
    I am loving it so far. We are a family of 5 and work fulltime so i cook on weekends- this is so much faster than a slow cooker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    This is an old thread. I am resurrecting it as I got a pressure cooker yesterday. So far, have cooked a beef curry (5 big meals straight into the freezer ) : it tasted fabulous. Now, its a thai yellow chicken and potato curry. It will be ready in 20 mins.
    I would love some recipe ideas.
    Mexican? Pork belly?
    I am loving it so far. We are a family of 5 and work fulltime so i cook on weekends- this is so much faster than a slow cooker.
    I use mine to make big batches of bolognese sauce and pumpkin soup, which can then be frozen for mid-week meals. Chilli con Carne works as well.

For pulled beef/pork, just add in some apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, bay leaf and stock/powder+water. If it's a thick piece of meat I found it works better to cut it into two lengthwise, that way the thin bit doesn't overcook and the whole lot can be 'pulled' at the end. About 50 minutes cooking.

Risotto comes up great and is a super-quick. Mine browns, so I use frozen pre-chopped onion, brown with oil butter that then add the aborio rice and stir til it goes clear on the ends. 300g of rice for 800ml liquid (stock or 200ml wine/600 stock). I add chopped hard veg at this stage (pumpkin, sweet potato etc). Cook on pressure for 7 min, fast release then add in soft veg (eg. Mushrooms, asparagus, brocolli, frozen peas). Stir and shut the lid for 5 minutes, then those veg should be cooked so stir in a couple of handfuls of parmesan and serve. I often do that along with grilled chicken tenderloins. All up the whole meal takes about 15-20 min from walking in the door.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (08-07-2018)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Stretched- i am keen to try pulled meat, and risotto. Frozen chopped onion saves time and me, especially for big batches . The Thai curry turned out beautiful today : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Thanks Stretched- i am keen to try pulled meat, and risotto. Frozen chopped onion saves time and me, especially for big batches . The Thai curry turned out beautiful today : )
    Awesome, I find beef curries cook up really nice in it (lamb probably would too, but I don't eat lamb!). You can buy the chopped onion in near the peas etc at the supermarket - I rarely buy onion fresh now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by emski72 View Post
    Is that the same for slow cookers and the flour catching the bottom? My slow cooker has started catching one of my beef dishes on the bottom and it just made me realise that might be it