+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Losing the plot

I need to vent. Sorry - long rave coming.

My neighbours are driving me totally insane. I have had ENOUGH!

Living next door is an old couple, their son, and sometimes his girlfriend or ex perhaps? and their 7 or 8 year old daughter. Oh, and the 3 greyhounds in tiny cages.

The son is extremely disturbed - he regularly screams at his parents, hits them, smashes stuff, screams at the daughter calling her the most foul and horrid names, and constantly yells in some weird language. He often sounds like he is going to explode with rage, literally. I'm sure there are serious mental health issues.

When he goes off (at least once a day), I have to bring Max inside, close all the doors and turn the music up to cover his awful noise and language.

The dogs constantly bark - shrill piercing continual barking. They are in tiny concrete cages (like the pound), and they let one out at a time which sends the other ones into a frenzy. Today Max is really sick with a cold and he can't sleep because of the noise, and I'm at my wits end!

I have asked them nicely if they could please do their best to keep the dogs quiet as I have a baby that needs to sleep during the day (the dogs are quiet at night thank goodness), but it hasn't made much difference. The son will sometimes get them to quieten down, but the parents make NO effort at all. Grrrrrrrrr.

I rang the council and they said that they can work with them to try and reduce the nosie, but that's going to start a war between us, and because the son is so scarey, that's the last thing I want to do.

Help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    oh boy Cathy that sounds awful...

No advise sorry but definate sympathy.....

We used to have the MOST HORRIBLE drug addicted neighbours that would have all out fights (with weapons.. be it knives, planks of wood,whatever) out the front all the time and it was a scary, scary time.... they moved out eventually... YAY

The police were there alot... maybe when the son is "screaming" you could call the police claiming domestic violence but do it anonymously...? just a thought....

I hope it settles down for you,or they move or something !!

in the meantime feel free to vent

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say it might be time to make an anonymous phone call to the cops...but 3 guesses who called them Wattle.
    Can you call the RSPCS re the state of the dogs..not that this will help you..but it might help the dogs....?

O's mom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i htink you should definetly call the police and explain the situation to them, and ring them whenever he has an 'episode' maybe it will only take one or two visits from them before other wheels are set in motion ie they will probably get onto DOCS and Mental Health unit, RSPCA, the police will keep everything you say confidential, but for the sake of the elderly parents, the child, the dogs and you and Max! i think you should get in contact with the police

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's a tough situation to be in Cathy. There are 2 problems with making an anonymous report about domestic violence. First is that the cops can't do anything unless someone in the house supports the info you give and presses charges. 2nd, the cops are going to ask around at all the neighbours if you heard anything so you end up in the position of facing a cop and deciding whether to lie or not. If you give evidence in support of a dv case, then you're effectively testifying against a neighbour which might be an even worse situation. I was supposed to go to court and testify against the son, and was very glad we ended up moving long before the case actually turned up in court. I'd hate to think of the abuse we and our dogs might have gotten in the meantime.

Does the local council know there are 3 dogs? sometimes any more than 2 dogs requires a special permit so it may be worth checking that your neighbours have the right permit and all dogs are registered.

I hope Max feels better soon. Hugs to you both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls. I initally wanted to get in touch with the cops (I even spoke to the council about this), but they said that they can't do anything unless there is a formal complaint made. They can't charge him for yelling in his house/yard.

I don't want to add fuel to a fire unnecessarily (that's a hard word to spell ) either. Am I being wimpy? I don't want to stick my nose in and then regret it.

The son was going off last week and he screamed to his dad "Remember what happened last time you called the police. How many were there.... 6, 7, 8 of them?" Aaaaaagh. So it sounds like the cops may already have a history.

Oh dear.

The council are aware of the dog status. There were originally 4 dogs, and I rang the council to see if that was legal when we moved in. They went to check the situation telling them there was an anonymous complaint (but it was obvious it was us, as we had recently moved in) so the neighbours from hell bailed up hubby about it (who said he knew nothing). So they had to get rid of one dog, and apply for a permit to have the third. Households are legally allowed 2 in VIC. I'd imagine they have their noses out of joint about that, but have no 'proof' it was us.

I guess they're racing them....... goodness knows.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They can't charge him for yelling in his house/yard.

What about "Noise Pollution" laws Cathy??
    Surley you can be allowed to yell helter skelter from your back yard....but the boom box is OK?
    If they are already known to the cops..go chat with the const on desk and see what your options are.
    There HAS to be something you can do?
    O's mom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps my life lesson is patience and tolerance. Maybe they are just giving me the opportunity of a lifetime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah..thats the attitude Cath..and that rude Canadian girl on my DH's email this morning was there to teach me to be pious, patient, forgiving...and I effed that one up soooo badly!!!!
    DH is now left to mend that fence!!!
    Silly cow.
    O's mom.
    (No offence to Martha for being Canadian....)

razzle is offline FORUM MANAGER~ Always watching...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd call the police if they're being too noisy. We have horrible scary noisy druggy neighbours across the road and I've rung the police about them countless times. When I phone the police and tell them my name they know who I'm going to complain about! The police come down and tell the neighbours that there's been a noise complaint and to keep it down. It's anonymous.

Good luck!