+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Moving overseas with a toddler

So my dh has put forward a proposition to move overseas permanently. The idea has scared the bejesus out of me. The logistics are truly terrifying.

So I am wondering if anyone has done it. If you have, would you do it again? How did you go about it?

We have a 13 month old and I am not at all keen to leave what little support network we have behind. How have you coped being in a country with no family and no friends? If you moved on a working visa, what happens if after a short period of time you or your partner has lost that job? Do you have to leave the country or can you look for other employment?

I am not sure if this is in the right area and I am sorry if it isn't. Any help or advice any other hubbers can provide is very greatly appreciated

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by munchkin275; 24-04-2015 at 15:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not in exactly the same boat as we moved to oz with the idea of it being temporary for a couple of years, but I moved from UK in January with 13 month old at the time and being 4 months pregnant. It's def tough not having any friends and family around and I really miss my mummy friends and babies that I made when my baby was born but I've made a lot of new ones already. We didn't live close to family so have never relied on them for childcare support so it's not much different here. I do worry about how hard it will be with 2 babies but we will cope I'm sure!

We use FaceTime a lot so our families can still see my son as he's changing so much and although I miss them I feel more sorry for them missing out on my son growing up. Posting lots of pictures and videos for them to see helps a lot though so they can see him regularly.

I think one thing I realised also is how much you and your partner need to be there for each other as at first you will only know each other and will need the support when times get tough (any move can be stressful).

At the end of the day we did this for an adventure and also to provide our kids with an opportunity to experience new things. There are always challenges but usually things are never permanent so if you hate it you can go back home. X

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

munchkin275  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Shameless bub for anyone else that may be able to help

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app