+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    The school used to say it was nut free but when the Anaphalaxis Education person from the RCH attended the school for an Education Session she brought up the fact that an item could have been made using almond meal in place of flour, therefore it's not nut free. The RCH view was that there is no way of knowing exactly what is in a particular item, hence the school's policy to seek that parents don't send any nut products but not to promote the school as nut free so as not to mislead parents or give them a false sense of security.
    this makes perfect sense. The only way the childcare can say it is nut free is because the food is all prepared by them, so they see what goes into it and have a qualified cook who prepares the meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    The school used to say it was nut free but when the Anaphalaxis Education person from the RCH attended the school for an Education Session she brought up the fact that an item could have been made using almond meal in place of flour, therefore it's not nut free. The RCH view was that there is no way of knowing exactly what is in a particular item, hence the school's policy to seek that parents don't send any nut products but not to promote the school as nut free so as not to mislead parents or give them a false sense of security.
    This is fantastic. I should ask my childcare to do this. I must admit when I first sent dd to childcare (not used to packing a lunch box) I was so used to food prepared by old centre. I sent peanut butter!! I felt awful.

But where do we stop? In all honesty. So many kids have allergies these days. To ANYTHING! I like that I can pack my kids lunch and if anything happens the staff are trained