ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For the kids birthday last year I said 'No presents necessary' (Dd 4 and Ds1) Wasnt strong enough- they both got pressies lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    People that want to buy gifts will still buy them regardless of what it says, others might choose to respect it. Maybe wording as 'the only presents requested is your presence' might be less wiggle room?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've found the only way to do this is make it a charity collection. So when we want no presents I write "no presents please but if you'd feel like making a donation to the RSPCA there will be a tin on the table". I find that works and we never get presents.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogis Mumma View Post
    My sister chooses a children's charity and requests a donation in lieu of a gift. Most oblige.
    Oh I like that. And if toys are bought dropped to the hospital?

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I've found the only way to do this is make it a charity collection. So when we want no presents I write "no presents please but if you'd feel like making a donation to the RSPCA there will be a tin on the table". I find that works and we never get presents.
    Do you think this idea will work: we're having ds' party at a NFP organization and are thinking of putting something like this on the invite:
    "gifts are not expected but if you feel like it please donate to 'NFP org name' ".

Is this the best way to phrase it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    Do you think this idea will work: we're having ds' party at a NFP organization and are thinking of putting something like this on the invite:
    "gifts are not expected but if you feel like it please donate to 'NFP org name' ".

Is this the best way to phrase it?
    I haven't done that nor seen it done that way. We always put a tin out and then once I get all the money in I do one donation.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ok, I'm probably going to be slammed for my comments, but here goes.

I'm one of those annoying people who ignore the 'no presents' request. I just don't think it's fair that children have to miss out on gifts for their birthday just because the parents don't want them. I think denying children gifts on their once a year special occasion is really mean and I just won't be part of that.

As for donating to a charity instead - whilst it's a nice sentiment on the parents' behalf, what say does the poor child get in this? If I want to donate to a charity, I will, but I certainly won't in place of giving the birthday boy or girl a gift on their special day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (19-11-2016)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My ds gets presents for his birthday and Christmas. And everytime we visit the inlaws. And Nan buys him something every week. He doesn't need 20+ more presents from childcare/playgroup friends at his party - he doesn't even associate birthday parties with presents yet. It's all about the fun activities, friends and cake! My opinion is gift giving can easily get out of hand and is very materialistic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post

I'm one of those annoying people who ignore the 'no presents' request. I just don't think it's fair that children have to miss out on gifts for their birthday just because the parents don't want them. I think denying children gifts on their once a year special occasion is really mean and I just won't be part of that.

As for donating to a charity instead - whilst it's a nice sentiment on the parents' behalf, what say does the poor child get in this? If I want to donate to a charity, I will, but I certainly won't in place of giving the birthday boy or girl a gift on their special day.
    We do it only if it's what our children want to do. It's not an expectation. My son started it for his 5th as the school he attends was raising money for the Yarloop fire tragedy. He wanted to do something to contribute and I suggested it as he was inviting the whole of his class to his party and he is a compete fuss pot with presents (I even find him impossible to buy for)

He still received presents from his family, including extended family and from friends outside his classroom. Trust me, he did ok.

And he also learned a valuable lesson about how the small act of one person (foregoing a few birthday presents) can help many. His one birthday raised almost $500.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (20-11-2016),AdornedWithCats  (19-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is there a polite/acceptable way to ask for no gifts?

Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post

I ask for no gifts (politely) but my DDs still receive gifts from us, grandparents, aunties/uncles, pseudo aunties/uncles & ppl that ignore the requests.

Why?

- Because they NEED very little (toys) to keep them happy.
    - Can't possibly appreciate loads of presents.
    - Already get more than enough from above groups.
    - I'm uncomfortable with so much stuff (junk).
    - Environmental impact of said junk.
    - I don't want ppl to feel the need to gift just because they've received an invitation. I would much rather them wish to spend time celebrating with us & there not be a catch.
    - There are so many other people in society who could benefit so much more & I'd prefer $ directed to them if ppl are willing.

I also don't enjoy gifting to kids anymore as majority of parents I know indulge kids throughout the year & thinking of a gift is a nightmare & a 'just because' exercise.
    Last edited by YeahYeahYeah; 19-11-2016 at 22:47.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YeahYeahYeah For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (20-11-2016),AdornedWithCats  (20-11-2016),ExcuseMyFrench  (19-11-2016)