+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Elijah's mum- building is 7 yrs old or less and strata contacted my agent. I didn't think I need to because there was just one small wet patch of carpet outside of the bathroom door.

The damage inside my unit was so insignificant that I was shocked to learn 5 other units had more damage. Strata emailed my RE agent saying they will receive an invoice for the other units' damages and RE agent emailed us that they will pass the invoice onto us. Hubby emailed back saying how did they determine we were at fault for the other units so quickly, questioning whether a proper investigation has been carried out. We also asked about landlord's insurance, why it's not being used in this situation.

Agent says we're at fault, owner has no insurance and we need to carry out our own investigation if we want to get out of paying fir repairs. I'm stressed out about this and sick daughter is now in hospital. I'mI staying up late now to find out how she is. I need a brwak from all this unpleasant events. This is our first time as tenants...we assumed landlords take out insurance cover. WWyd in our situation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Fina14 sorry to hear this and hope your DD is okay. There is a dept you can ring for advice but i can't remember the name. @Elijahs Mum might be able to point you in the right direction

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (15-04-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Even if the owner has insurance, that insurance company is likely to come to you to recoup their money.
    If there is no one at fault, The insurance will pay out and likely the owner's premium will increase.
    But where the insurance company to pass on costs to someone else, they will.

I'm so sorry this has happened. What an awful situation to find yourself in. I hope it can be resolved quickly so you know where you stand.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In a strata building its so strange for the owners not to have insurance to cover their unit esp when its being rented out id be pushing that question again.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (16-04-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (15-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont buy that the owner doesnt have insurance. Surely they must?! I would ask again.

Im sorry for such a stressful time, op, I hope your daughter is ok

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    I don't buy that either, especially if their property has a mortgage on it!! No-one who owns property wouldn't insure it.
    Yep, this. Even more so if you are putting the care of that property into strangers hands.

Are you able to contact the owners directly? I'm also surprised it damaged 5 other units - how is that even possible?!

Hope your daughter is doing better

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (16-04-2015),Fina14  (16-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    *hugs* What a terrible week for you!

I also would be questioning the LL insurance again as you need to have insurance to get a mortgage :/

I really hope this gets sorted for you & that your DD recovers quickly!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think building insurance is compulsory for unmortgaged investment buildings on green title (just blo*ody stupid not to have it!) But when we lived in a strata villa in WA (owner occupier) our strata company legally had to take out building insurance, paying for it from the quarterly strata fees.

I would do more investigating - what the real estate agent said doesn't sound right.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As pp said the owners would have insurance - the strata rates go to paying building insurance but not necessarily landlords insurance ( idiots if they don't ) - do you have contents insurance?

All insurances should cover water damage , especially from bath tub overflows and washing machine leaking etc as they are quite common

If it were me and I was asked to pay I would:

Ask to speak with the strata managing agent - get a full copy of the strata report involving all the units involved and the damage , tell them the agent said you are liable but you've had advice from the tenancy services saying you are not and that you have a right to check the reports and to confirm what insurances the building has

Demand to have a plumber come and check the waterproofing ( if this is faulty there is no way you are liable for anything)

Pretty much say to the agent you don't have the money to pay for it, it was a very small accident and you had no way of knowing it had caused all this damage to other units - I believe in a case like this no tribunal would make you pay anything other than insurance excess and maybe the carpet repair but get all the facts first and as pp said call the tenancy service in your state - let us know how you go!

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (16-04-2015),bezzy  (16-04-2015),Fina14  (16-04-2015),FrothyFrog  (17-04-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be paying anything they should have insurance. Stiff ****.

I own a rental and I make sure I have rental insurance