+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know if Finland has any 'points' system attached to their licences. I do believe when aus police issued double points, double fines. for short weekends. or whatever time period, that is a successful exercise. large part of the public sit up and take notice. I think it might work here, but as a pp said, the rich can move accounts, so they can show less income, and also pass the ticket on to someone else. there is always some loophole to be found. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What Are Your Thoughts: Fined Based on %?

Take money out of the equation completely and just use a points system. Everyone gets the same, its inconvenient for anyone, regardless of income, to lose their license.

Treat driving on public roads as a privilege and take it away if someone breaks the rules.

ETA it would also get rid of this whole attitude about police 'revenue raising' and maybe people would have more respect for the road rules (and other people's lives). I really hate it when people whine about police enforcing speed limits! See a high-speed accident first hand, dead bodies and all, and tell me the police only care about money. Makes me angry!
    Last edited by Cue; 05-03-2015 at 13:06.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-03-2015),Dinky Doo  (05-03-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (05-03-2015),FrothyFrog  (05-03-2015),Renn  (05-03-2015),SuperGranny  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's a great idea in theory; I'd love to know how well it works in practice.

I know a family who are very wealthy, and all tend to flout the road rules. Fines don't bother them at all, and they trade/buy demerit points. If someone gets a fine with demerit points attached, then whoever has the most points left will say they were driving. If they don't feel they can afford more points, then they try to buy out friends/family members to say it was them driving.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its great BUT doesn't account for peoples actual expenses either. Generally speaking, the more people earn, the more their expenses (rent vs. higher rent or mortgage, cheap car vs more expensive car). It doesn't mean that they have more left over from their pay packet each week/fortnight..

@Cue - that is fantastic! I love that idea! And totally agree re revenue raising. I don't understand that mentality. There is no "revenue" to raise if people don't break the law! Also, cops don't receive bonuses based upon how much "revenue raising" they have done - people act like it's going straight to their pockets. I assure you, it does not!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dinky Doo For This Useful Post:

Cue  (06-03-2015),SuperGranny  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My grandfather was telling me about this not long ago (he is Finnish). Unlike here, in Finland all income and tax earnt and paid by individuals is public record. So you can look up what anyone you know actually earns. This makes the "hiding" of wealth very difficult.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to trustno1 For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (05-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't like it, because $77,000 seems crazy to me even if he can afford it. I hate monetary fines though, and I think they should all be points based. I technically ran a red light the other month when I was turning left at an intersection and I was waiting for slow pedestrians to cross. $360!!!!!! I would have fought it in court if I didn't have a newborn and toddler and four year old to look after. How can the average household afford such a fine. Totally absurd. I'm a sensible driver. I got a parking fine last week after parking in a poorly signed area (it was apparently a permit zone) and it was $90. That actually made me madder than the red light ticket. $90 is too much for that!! No wonder people assume revenue raising is to blame.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If there was evidence that the wealthy were deliberately flouting traffic laws because they can afford the fine then yes it makes sense. I somehow doubt that is the case though. The points system that goes with the fine is a good equaliser.
    I actually don't mind fines as revenue raising, I've had a speeding fine once, I was speeding, I deserved it, if money can be raised by catching people doing the wrong thing then go for it.