+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrazelna View Post
    So many day care food threads like this I'm extremely nervous about having to send DA to childcare when I go back to work. Surely there should be better government regulations. The added sugar and sodium is just crazy.
    I'm actually very curious about this as well because my understanding was to be accredited you needed to have a very strict food policy. Maybe this isn't the case for private childcares? I know that even though my cc has some significant flaws I do have a lot of respect for their nutrition policy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It wouldn't bother me. If they are great at looking after my kid then that's more important to me. I know what I feed them at home so I'm not going to get upset by 2 min noodles cause they ran out of pasta

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Curby  (27-02-2015),Mokeybear  (27-02-2015),wilding  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    It wouldn't bother me. If they are great at looking after my kid then that's more important to me. I know what I feed them at home so I'm not going to get upset by 2 min noodles cause they ran out of pasta
    And to a point I agree with this, especially seeing as my LO is only there once a week but if your LO was there 5 days a week wouldn't it bother you?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (27-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No seriously it wouldn't. If my son was there 5 days a week which he has done for 3 years I need to know that the hug him when he's sad, that they give him his blankie if he's anxious, that they encourage him to interact and play with other kids, that they listen to him and really care about his wellbeing. I love the updates and the photos of his day when I pick him up, I love that he's excited to see me and even more excited to tell me about his day. I love it when he talks about his carers by name and his friends greet him and say goodbye. Two min noodles don't even register on my radar cause the whole food pyramid is wrong, low fat milk at daycare is wrong, margarine makes me cringe but when at home I feed and nourish him and I have to focus on the bigger picture or it will do my head in.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

azelqra  (28-02-2015),LaDiDah  (27-02-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (28-02-2015),LoCo  (28-02-2015),SpecialK  (27-02-2015),Teenz  (02-03-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (02-03-2015),Whirligig  (28-02-2015),wilding  (01-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am actually seriously shocked by the foods being served by daycares in some of these threads. In NSW all centres must be accredited and if the nutrition policy was poor they would not pass. I would be annoyed about both the 2 min noodles and the ice cream. Seems like an odd choice for a back up. I have only worked in centres where the parents pack lunchboxes and the emergency back up food is always bread for sandwiches and fruit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (28-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd be concerned about that for sure! When I first moved out of home as a teenager with my best friend we were of course pretty poor, and pretty bad at looking after ourselves. When she got seriously sick after a few months she went to the Dr and after some tests it turned out she was malnourished. Asked about her diet she said that she'd been living on 2 minute noodles...The Dr gave her a long lecture about how 2 minute noodles have absolutely NO nutritional value and are basically just full of cr@p. So yeah, I wouldn't be impressed with a main meal for my baby being 2 minute noodles.
    ...but then to follow that up with something like choc ice cream that is just full of sugar and artificial additives!? Surely that makes all the kids go a bit crazy? Wouldn't they just be making their own jobs harder? I know when DS has anything like that he goes crazy for hours, then has a sugar crash and gets really cranky. Just seems like a silly thing for them to do when they have a room full of toddlers to wrangle

Thanks
    Reviews
    ldc centres have a menu planning guidelines, they are not regulated so they don't have to follow but most do as then they get to access munch and move funding and use this as evidence for r&a.

http://www.echildcare.com.au/resourc...-checklist.pdf