+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Amber teething necklaces/bracelets

After a retched night with nothing working for teething (but also unwell) I am wondering if I should try the amber teething necklaces.

Did you find it actually helped? Does a bracelet or anklet work just as well or does it have to be a necklace as it's closest to the location of pain? I would rather an anklet but don't want to get one if it wouldn't even help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    You can try one but I think that they're a load of you know what! I tried one out of desperation with my youngest but it did nothing. Some people do swear by them though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I recently tried one as well and thought they were a load of rubbish.. I know people that swear by them though..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ditto to the above 2 posts.. Worth trying anything tho it may work for u

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently the so-called "science" behind them is complete bollocks. A few ladies on here are experts at how they don't actually do anything, I've read some very detailed posts in the past. But to each their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Haha! All of your posts echo pretty much what my thoughts on the subject have been! But last night was insane, granted he has a cold as well but I could definitely tell his teeth were bothering him and he never really chilled out even after regular pain relief so I'm feeling a bit desperate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Haha! All of your posts echo pretty much what my thoughts on the subject have been! But last night was insane, granted he has a cold as well but I could definitely tell his teeth were bothering him and he never really chilled out even after regular pain relief so I'm feeling a bit desperate!
    I got one for my 3rd baby as I was desperate too, she'd been unwell/cranky for 3 weeks and I was beside myself. Turns out she had a UTI and ended up in hospital. So the Amber teething necklace was a waste for teething but 2 years later she still wears it, I figure I paid $30 for it she may as well wear it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a fan here at all! Amber needs to be heated to a very high temperature to release anything into the body. But if you're desperate maybe give it a go and report back to us. You might prove us all wrong 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I don't think I would try them but who knows how I'll feel down the track.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I know some people will swear they worked for this child but my thoughts are:

- They claim to release natural oils into a baby's skin - the warmth of the infant's skin being enough that the amber releases this oil.

As for the supposed mechanism that allows Amber to heal it’s infant wearer, we’re told the warmth of a babies skin is enough to allow ‘natural oils’ to be released into the child’s skin. Note here that what is claimed to be released is not called a chemical as this more accurate definition has negative connotations in certain circles, particularly the demographic targeted. The claim that an infants skin generates enough warmth to leach chemicals from the amber has been dismissed by Chemistry professor at New Zealand’s Otago University, Alan Blackman, who advised
    “You have to heat amber to over 200degC in order to be able to get any volatiles out of it, so I find that quite unlikely.”
    Volatile is an interesting choice of words considering that Succinic acid (the ‘natural oil’ contained in Baltic Amber) is combustible and corrosive, capable of causing burns in a high enough concentration. However incredibly small amounts are found in the human body and in plants. It is most commonly used in the food and beverage industry as food additive #363 to be precise. Ironically there are recommendations from some quarters to avoid the substance.
    [link]

- If it does work your baby is being medicated 24/7 from absorbing the succinic acid / 'natural oils' whether they are actually teething or not.