+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Are you building, renovating or decorating?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Problem we found with this was there wasn't a fixed price, so it's easy to overspend as you change your mind and upgrade through the process. We also found it would take a lot longer to build.
    Longer to build? Who was your builder? If you don't mind me asking. You have to be really careful and you can ask to see documents etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Problem we found with this was there wasn't a fixed price, so it's easy to overspend as you change your mind and upgrade through the process. We also found it would take a lot longer to build.
    Please make sure you have an end date for hand over on the contract. We went to court today against a builder based in northern suburbs. They did a no show to court so now we have a warrant out for their arrest to make pay the thousands they owe us. Dp walked away from doing work for them as they want to cut floor joists in half and nail and glue them back Together ! The lady building the 4 houses didn't get an end date on her contract. 3 yrs later she is now busy as the houses aren't finished yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    Longer to build? Who was your builder? If you don't mind me asking. You have to be really careful and you can ask to see documents etc.
    That was when we built our 3rd house, we looked at a few options and bigger builders didn't do cost plus and the smaller builders who did were one man bands and 9 months was the minimum.

We have a 6 month build contract for our next 2 houses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Please make sure you have an end date for hand over on the contract. We went to court today against a builder based in northern suburbs. They did a no show to court so now we have a warrant out for their arrest to make pay the thousands they owe us. Dp walked away from doing work for them as they want to cut floor joists in half and nail and glue them back Together ! The lady building the 4 houses didn't get an end date on her contract. 3 yrs later she is now busy as the houses aren't finished yet
    A wow.... I think it's a shame that we can't name & shame builders so people are aware of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by I am Brooke View Post
    We’ve cut out pieces of paper, and tried different configurations this way. Based on these configurations, I’ve drawn a scale drawing to add in further furniture and other measurements.
    Thanks. Tried that, still having trouble visualising. Need 3D!
    @A-Squared, the name of that app would be great when you have time. Thanks ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    @JustJaq it's called home design 3D. I think I bought the middle of the road version or top version, I can't remember sorry.

Here's a floor plan for our new open plan living and kitchen in 3D and overhead. You can add in so many things and change the sizes to fit the furniture you have.

I couldn't get the doors and windows working though so I'm unsure if I'm not understanding it or it's a bug.

Here's a few imagesIMG_1484052215.235847.jpgIMG_1484052226.481664.jpgIMG_1484052238.714032.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh that looks great, A-Squared! Both your house and the app, thanks!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did, but like all builders if you tell them to take something worth $20k (for example) out of your contract they will but will only credit you something like $12k so you're no better off in the end.

There's a lot of building regulations with regards to the actual building part but it's not very well regulated with regards to pricing etc and so many people get very ripped off all under the guise of we can't itemise everything or we would be giving away our profit modelling and margins. We all know and accept the builders have to make a profit, but not by using smoke and mirrors and dodgy pricing.
    Just with regard to this, by no means claiming that builders are beyond reproach, but sometimes it's one of those don't-understand-what-goes-into-it situations. My sister is a residential drafter for a well known building company, and clients can be pretty unreasonably without meaning to be. A change that might not seem like much to the client can often require redoing a lot of work (like redrawing or resubmitting plans), and have a genuine cost to the business.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Just with regard to this, by no means claiming that builders are beyond reproach, but sometimes it's one of those don't-understand-what-goes-into-it situations. My sister is a residential drafter for a well known building company, and clients can be pretty unreasonably without meaning to be. A change that might not seem like much to the client can often require redoing a lot of work (like redrawing or resubmitting plans), and have a genuine cost to the business.
    Yeah I get what you mean, there's definitely cases where I can see the hidden costs. Like my MIL who will be buying one of the houses wants to move the location of the kitchen island and I told her we couldn't as I know a change like that means moving plumbing, which means a change to footings and therefore more engineering, resubmitting to council etc.

So I can see both sides absolutely, I can only imagine some clients requests would be difficult and expensive to cater for. But I'm more talking about say taking out the doors and handles from the package as you don't like the options and you want to buy your own and have them fitted after the build. Even though the cost component (and profit) of the doors themselves is a certain amount, they don't credit the full amount of what those doors would cost. We actually changed builders when we asked for them to take out the stone bench tops from the kitchen and bathrooms and they were going to credit us $400!! I know for a fact that even with their bulk buying power, there is no way they could get all the bench tops for that amount (well less really once you take out their profit component of the "$400").

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yep! Just got footings back! Ripped off $29k per 148sqm house (x2 houses) on a flat block. NO WAY it's that much.

Does anyone know if a quantity surveyor could give us a quote on footings based on our floor plans and engineering?