+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me about pcos

I have been strict with diet and exercise for nearly 12 months and I lose a couple of kg put then it either comes back or stays the same so I decided to look into possible hormonal reasons and came across pcos and looking at the symptoms I tick most of the boxes. I am obese even though I eat incredibly healthy and exercise everyday (not just gentle either I go to a hiit boot camp), I have black hairs on my tummy and facial hair, my periods are horrible for awhile there my cycles were not consistent and I would bleed for 9-11 days heavily going through a maternity pad every 45 mins but then I went on the pill to regulate it and it is now not as heavy but still pretty bad and only last 7 days and is still incredibly painful the pains actually start mid cycle and I suffer with anxiety, I don't have sleep apnea but I do suffer insomnia quiet badly which I read can happen. I have a appointment with my Dr on Monday to find out more information and to see if she thinks I might have pcos and what I can do, I don't want anymore babies I just want to lose weight and the fact that I am working so hard and getting no where has me so depressed that I spend most of my day crying. Does anyone have any advice on what I could do in the mean time that might help like foods to avoid or natural therapies I could try? please I am at the stage where I am desperate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I have no experience but I was interested to know if you have been diagnosed with type2 dib. I have heard that following a diabetic diet and monitoring bgls with only diet or with meds can improve pcos.
    But I could be completely wrong. Hopefully someone can shed some light

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was diagnosed with pcos after ultrasound of ovaries and glucose tolerance test came back that I had insulin resistance. Metformin has helped my diet & weight. There are a couple of good books I downloaded about pcos diet & insulin resistance which helped me so I'd definitely recommend some reading! And your symptoms sound similar to mine though I hadn't had kids yet when I was diagnosed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I meant to say that yes I agree with above that eating plan is similar to type 2 diabetes. I'd say focus on low GI foods, try 30g carbs breakfast, lunch & dinner with 2-3 snacks per day with 15g carbs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before I had DS2 I was having painful periods and had a ultrasound that showed cysts on my ovaries and after DS2 was born my periods got worse and again showed cysts but my Dr at the time didn't think anything of it. So that makes me wonder if it has been there the whole time but been fobbed off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    PCOS is usually a hormonal condition that you develop early on in life - it's likely if you do have it, that you have had it all along.

You symptoms do sound quite typical of PCOS. You need to have a range of blood tests that will be able to give you a better diagnoses. They will be able to see whether your androgen levels are high and whether some of your hormone levels are in the correct ratio. I would also suggest getting your thyroid checked as well (not just the TSH test - the antibodies as well) as Hashimoto's can cause many of the same symptoms and often occurs with PCOS as well (I have both and it is quite common).