+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Reaction to mmr vaccine

Hi. DD (4years) had her mmr vaccination last monday and today she has had a runny nose and a severe case of crankiness. Tonight in the bath i noticed her arms were covered in a blotchy raised rash. I think its a reaction to the vaccine... do i need to report it to anyone? I did a google and couldnt find an answer although apparently the rash isnt contagious so if shes feeling ok i guess its ok to send her to preschool? Anyone with any experience if this?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I would maybe call nurse on call or the equivalent in your state and see what they say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd see about getting it checked out. The fact that it coincides with her immunisation doesn't mean that it's a reaction. If it's a coincidence and she's picked up something contagious, you don't want to send her to preschool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Talk to your doctor or nurse to make sure it is ok first. Then you can also make a report to the TGA if you think it is a drug reaction. They don't dispense medical advise, but they do like to receive any concerns over medications etc. https://www.tga.gov.au/reporting-med...adverse-events

Thanks
    Reviews
    I rang the healthline (on the back of the blue book) and spoke to a nurse who scared the pants off me. She thought it sounded like a severe allergic reaction to something as the rash was more like hives. She said we needed to have her looked at by a doctor within 2 hours. Rather than wait forever at the hospital i called for a gp home visit. He thought it was a hives as a result of a virus and because she had the rash on her cheeks that it could be fiths disease (slapped cheek). DD has woken up this morning as bright as a button with not a trace of rash anywhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh dear. They do seem to err on the side of caution on health direct, I guess because they can't actually see for themselves and they aren't doctors etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TeaAndToast View Post
    I rang the healthline (on the back of the blue book) and spoke to a nurse who scared the pants off me. She thought it sounded like a severe allergic reaction to something as the rash was more like hives. She said we needed to have her looked at by a doctor within 2 hours. Rather than wait forever at the hospital i called for a gp home visit. He thought it was a hives as a result of a virus and because she had the rash on her cheeks that it could be fiths disease (slapped cheek). DD has woken up this morning as bright as a button with not a trace of rash anywhere!