+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Using the toilet when out?

3.5yo DD just recently started toilet training (started on Friday). She's been great with wee at home, right from the start she has done almost all wees in the toilet with a couple of accidents when she's been distracted, as expected. Poo is a different story, she doesn't want to do it in the toilet but I'm sure she'll get there.

The thing is, when she's out of the house she won't use the toilet. She just holds it for as long as she can and then does it in her undies. Even at daycare she's only done 1 wee in the toilet in the 2 days she's been there this week. She holds it until her nappy goes on at sleep time or until she gets home.

Is this all normal? How long does it take for them to use the loo when out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! My dd, now 4, is pretty much the same, holding all day at daycare... Resulting in a few accidents but she seems to have an amazing bladder control. It's something specific to daycare, as at home we rarely have accidents & she's happy to go if we are out and about. We ended up taking in her own potty, which she stickered , & she negotiated with staff to do ONE wee after sleep time. We have been doing this for about 4 mths, & it's been fine. I think she uses toilet now if there's not other kids around. im fine if she only goes once, as long as she's not having accidents. I don't really like using unfamiliar toilets either. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, when I first started TT my son at age 3 he took a couple of weeks to be able to use the loo when out. At first I just took him out in nappies, then when he was fine at home with wees I chanced venturing out nappy-less. Poos in the toilet took a while. 1-2 months. He'd hide and do it in his undies. But got there in not too long with only the occasional accident. Don't worry, she'll get the hang of it soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS is the opposite. When we are out he wants to go the toilet. Make sure the daycare are telling her when to go and not just leaving it up to her. They need to be doing the same routine as you as @Lucyca said. If you are using timing like every 45 min then daycare should do that too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    My DS is the opposite. When we are out he wants to go the toilet. Make sure the daycare are telling her when to go and not just leaving it up to her. They need to be doing the same routine as you as @Lucyca said. If you are using timing like every 45 min then daycare should do that too.
    Yeah daycare take her about every 30min, they have been fantastic - the room leader made a fairy door and sticker chart for her as that's what we do at home (fairies leave a reward). At home she takes herself to the toilet if she needs to go, I don't need to prompt her. Even though she doesn't want to poo in the toilet she still tells me when she's doing it.

I guess it's just time. I've started reducing the rewards for wee and told her she'll get a special reward when she does a poo in the loo.