+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kristabelle View Post
    My dd starts prep next year. She turns 4 next week.
    Do you think I should hold her off so that she starts prep turning 6? Or send her next year?
    She can sit still and engaged in activities for long periods of time , is quite mature etc. I am already stressing myself about it and I have at least 12 months up my sleeve! Lol.
    Would love to hear your opinions

Op great thread!
    I know two little girls that started prep and turned 5 in Jan the other Feb. They are bother older now and doing well.
    I think maybe those turning 5 in May/June might struggle more??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I truly think it depends on the child. My DS1 started at 4.5 (his birthday is late may) and he has absolutely thrived, is top of his class academically and I have no regrets sending him when I did.

My DS2 could have gone to prep this year with the new age cut off (mid july baby) but I am not sending him until next year as he isnt ready. My DS3 will be one of the youngest if he goes to prep the year he is meant to (mid june birthday) but we will asses as he gets older. I personally feel he will be like DS1 and be ready.

Funnily enough, all the teachers I've spoken to IRL have been huge advocates for starting them at 4.5 if they're before the cut off. One of my friends is a prep teacher in a special needs school and she sent her son to prep this year (his birthday is a few days before my DS2)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (29-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has just started pre this week. He turns 5 this week, but wow I can see I should have kept him back, did not realise what they expect of them in prep. And he hates it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy_w View Post
    My DS has just started pre this week. He turns 5 this week, but wow I can see I should have kept him back, did not realise what they expect of them in prep. And he hates it too.
    Oh no, poor thing.
    What do they expect of them??
    Where are you located (state)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh that sucks! It's a big change for child 5 days a week 6 hrs a day!! I look at my 4.5 yr old and I'm glad I've kept her back!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for everyone's opinions on this. Really great to read.

My DD is born 16 July and is now able to go to prep next year ( thanks to the new 31st july cutoff). She'll be 4.5 if I send her next year and I just don't know what would be best for her.

Her daycare have told me that she is ready to be enrolled in their Kindy program, so I thought I'd agree to her being in the kindy program.

Does anyone know if she'll be able to repeat kindy next year, if she's not ready for prep?

Also, what is prep like? Is it basically grade 1, but been rebranded as prep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here in Melbourne you can repeat the council run 3yr old, but very difficult to repeat the 4yr old.
    However, in daycare it should be easy to repeat 4yr old kinder.
    My son turned 5 last August and is starting prep tomorrow at aged 5.5yrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in Vic. My son is a Feb child 4 turning 5. We have opted to hold him back. Apparently no one regrets holding their kids back. Interesting most mums from my mothers group with same aged kids have done the same too..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Missbear For This Useful Post:

kathy_w  (02-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And 2 blue birds he is repeating 4yo kinder. Wasn't as hard as ppl make out!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Missbear For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbear View Post
    And 2 blue birds he is repeating 4yo kinder. Wasn't as hard as ppl make out!
    3 of mine repeated. All at teacher request. 3 different teachers