+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,205
    Thanks
    1,433
    Thanked
    7,829
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    He might be able to get some sort of ancestry visa but not the passport.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    waterlily  (19-01-2015)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Launceston
    Posts
    13,468
    Thanks
    732
    Thanked
    2,355
    Reviews
    34
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm pretty sure big red is right. He can get a visa because of his grandparents but not a passport.

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,205
    Thanks
    1,433
    Thanked
    7,829
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default Dual Passport Help

    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    I am duel Australian/British and have carried 2 passports before. At the time you only needed 1 parent or 1 grandparent but I believe if it was a grandparent then it had to be a grandfather, not a grandmother. That was 20ish years ago though so it may have changed. Both my parents were born in England although they have been naturalised Australians for 30+ years. Traveling with 2 passports did make life a little easier, I usually used my British passport because the countries I was traveling to I didn't need visas but I would have if I only had an Australian passport.

    I wonder if DH and the kids would be eligible to have a British passport because of my heritage?
    This is interesting. Your children won't be able to get a passport because they were born after a certain date. If they had a British father, they could get one unconditionally. Ridiculous.

    https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen

    ETA - my kids are eligible for an Irish passport because of my husband but I don't know if it would be different if i was born there. If I want an Irish passport as well, I have to be living with my husband in Ireland for a certain amount of time (can't remember)

    Also, I am of European descent and my mum was born in Europe but that country won't allow dual citizenship.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 19-01-2015 at 19:22.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    18,205
    Thanks
    1,433
    Thanked
    7,829
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    I'm pretty sure big red is right. He can get a visa because of his grandparents but not a passport.
    Yep. Here is a link https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    ChelleBH  (19-01-2015),EverydayDreamer  (19-01-2015)

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,657
    Thanks
    602
    Thanked
    599
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    This is interesting. Your children won't be able to get a passport because they were born after a certain date. If they had a British father, they could get one unconditionally. Ridiculous.

    https://www.gov.uk/register-british-citizen

    ETA - my kids are eligible for an Irish passport because of my husband but I don't know if it would be different if i was born there. If I want an Irish passport as well, I have to be living with my husband in Ireland for a certain amount of time (can't remember)

    Also, I am of European descent and my mum was born in Europe but that country won't allow dual citizenship.
    My kids have dual due to DH being British. He wants their kids to also get one so have looked into it said there was talk that to pass it on our kids would have to live in UK for at least 6 months before 16yo...now if only I can convince DH to move home for a year!

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

    EverydayDreamer  (19-01-2015)

  9. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    West Melbourne
    Posts
    333
    Thanks
    452
    Thanked
    162
    Reviews
    0
    Thanks for the links! OK will look into the visa I was hoping this wouldn't be the case but visa may still help

    DH has a bit of a history that will prevent entry into some countries and this was a way around it. Not that I condone dodging punishments but if the loop hole is (was) there ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    It was stupid and years ago but looks bad. He got fines but lost his job so couldn't pay them so fines were swapped for like community service but then he did get a job and boss wouldn't let him have days off to do all the service days set and was then sent away for a few days ... just long enough to ensure he will never be clean slated even 17 years later - price you pay!

    Ah well thanks for all the input hubbers

  10. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    357
    Thanks
    158
    Thanked
    150
    Reviews
    0
    Definitely worth applying, although he may have to declare the past offence on the application.
    I got so much conflicting information but in 2006 applied for a UK passport using my Grandfathers and Mums (both born in the UK) details. To pass it on to DS we have to live here in the UK for three years (and there's a limit to the number of days you can spend outside the UK). DS has a USA and Australian passport and is on a 5 year visa at the moment, if we stay here for 2 more years he will have three passports!
    DH has an Italian passport by decent through his Grandmother, who never filled out to paperwork to become a naturalised Australian, his parents had never been to Italy and don't have Italian passports.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to michellead For This Useful Post:

    EverydayDreamer  (19-01-2015)

  12. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    West Melbourne
    Posts
    333
    Thanks
    452
    Thanked
    162
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by michellead View Post
    Definitely worth applying, although he may have to declare the past offence on the application.
    I got so much conflicting information but in 2006 applied for a UK passport using my Grandfathers and Mums (both born in the UK) details. To pass it on to DS we have to live here in the UK for three years (and there's a limit to the number of days you can spend outside the UK). DS has a USA and Australian passport and is on a 5 year visa at the moment, if we stay here for 2 more years he will have three passports!
    DH has an Italian passport by decent through his Grandmother, who never filled out to paperwork to become a naturalised Australian, his parents had never been to Italy and don't have Italian passports.
    Yeah we can only try there is no harm in that =)

    That is so interesting and cool that he can obtain 3!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to EverydayDreamer For This Useful Post:

    michellead  (19-01-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Hipod Molly and Max dual stroller
    By Purple Lily in forum Product Recommendations & Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-05-2016, 23:17
  2. I HATE getting a child passport
    By BH-KatiesMum in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 26-07-2014, 13:10
  3. Baby Passport
    By Purple Poppy in forum General Travelling with Kids Tips
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 06:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
ProSwimProSwim Rostrevor runs learn to swim classes for children and adults. Lessons are run during the Summer months ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Neighbours 30 years - 2015Movies / Music / Books / TV Chat
❤Joyous June/July TTC!❤Conception & Fertility General Chat
Same Sex Parents TTC #5Same Sex Parents
IVF Babies due August/Sept/Oct' 16 #4pregnancy and babies through IVF
I want C-section 1 day after due date!general c-section discussion and debate
Geocaching puzzle.Games & fun stuff
Has anyone used Phenergan?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›