+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    - get a fan and face it on you while you hold bub so you don't get sweaty?
    - wait 20 minutes and then transfer bub. You may need to pat bub in between sleep cycles as babies who are aided to sleep (rocking/patting/feeding etc) tend to have trouble moving from one sleep cycle to the other.

When is sleep school? Still getting help for your anxiety how is that going?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I try to put my 3 month old down to sleep drowsy but awake, or lightly asleep. If his eyes pop open when i transfer him, i pat him, give him a dummy, and - I know this sounds silly - I model sleepy behavior for him - ie my eyes closed, and often I'm yawning because I'm sleepy myself!

With eyes closed, bub then has the reassurance of your presence, but not you to interact with. I second PP about having eyes almost closed when patting bub in bed. This generally works well. I also tuck him in tight. I will often stay close by for 5 to 10 min so i can respond quickly (eg more patting, replace dummy) if needed before he wakes himself up properly.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I do sit with my arm propped, but not being able to move for however long is meaning my neck & shoulder muscles are completely seizing up. I know my neck is awkward & difficult but I cant seem to get a diagnosis so I just have to manage it as best I can.

Ill try the things suggested over the next little while & see how I go.
    Have you tried lying down with him in your bed?
    Sometimes I would rock to sleep, then go and lie down with him in my bed, recline slowly onto pillows, then slowly roll onto my side until my arm with him on it was on the bed, then slowly slide my arm out. Then I was free to move. Sometimes I would slowly roll over and get off the bed, but then you need to decide if you want to leave him unattended. Sometimes I would just lie there next to him, but at least I could move. And then if he stirred I would quickly put my arm back around and pat him.
    Sometimes he would wake even after all of this slowly-slowly business, and it would be frustrating, but at least it got me a small break of holding him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry this isn't transfer related but I was just thinking OP - I know you sing to him, but I found for my own DS after a while that my singing/humming was actually disturbing him, I think he thought we were having a chat rather than me trying to get him to sleep! We were given a cuddly singing bear for Christmas - one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/VTech-Soothing.../dp/B00AF64I1Q

I don't know why but DS has taken right to it. I play it every time it's time to go to sleep, and it works really well. It plays for about 10 minutes at a time, so I usually play it twice and by 20 minutes he's out. It might get you the break you need, as the sound is familiar and when you put him down, he is still listening and might find it soothing. Then you might be able to sneak out! Something like this might be worth a try?
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 15-01-2015 at 20:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What if you found a routine with timings that you could try following? Something like save our sleep, but just use the times for sleep, that way you can try putting him to sleep roughly when an average 6 month old might be tired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's so hard isn't it? Hugs.

While waiting for sleep school can you-

Prop yourself up with pillows leaning back on your bed head?

Re position him when he's asleep so he's lying more on your chest rather than in your arms?

Will he sleep in an electric swing, baby hammock or similar (ie not on a flat mattress but on a curved surface). Maybe it's the lying flat in the cot part that wakes him?

As you lower him into the cot if he starts to wake can you keep your arm underneath/around him until he's back asleep?

What happens when he wakes he you put him in his cot? I'm sure you've tried everything but I'll just suggest a few things anyway-

Mobile music?
    Dummy?
    Comforter? eg wrap, toy
    Shh, pat?
    No eye contact?
    Leaving him to gently cry for a few minutes before coming back into him and trying above technique/s again?
    Keeping hands on him(chest/back or bum) until he goes back to sleep?
    Tell him it's ok, good night, have a good sleep etc?

Some babies need 1 or a combination of these techniques to fall asleep or to resettle in the cot. My children needed all of them!

Good luck, I really hope you get a break through soon xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to add, none of my babies showed tired signs before I put them to bed. I just watched the clock. If they showed tired signs (eg eye rubbing, yawns etc) they were overtired and would be harder to put to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Tips for transferring

Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    What if you found a routine with timings that you could try following? Something like save our sleep, but just use the times for sleep, that way you can try putting him to sleep roughly when an average 6 month old might be tired.
    Routine with timings, looking at the clock for average awake times etc has already been suggested a few months back.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (15-01-2015),Kazza78  (16-01-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiddleDiddle View Post
    Routine with timings has already been suggested a few months back.
    I am doing that & there's usually a lot less crying now but he still needs to be held for his sleeps. It still takes him a long time to go to sleep, but we do get there in the end most of the time now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Can I ask what you do when you finally put him down? At what point does he cry? As soon as he is down or does he open his eyes and turn his head a bit, let out a little whimper first?

My DS ALWAYS opens his eyes when I transfer him, but I continue to move his basinette and close my eyes and he drifts back into his sleep.

I use pedestal fan to create some background noise otherwise every little sound makes him flinch or wake.