+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are my options

What are my options apart from the pill?
    By way of background, I'd been on the peall since 16 due to irregular periods.
    I want to get off it though due to the headaches and weight gain.
    I'm on the highest dosages due to the fact that a lower doese doesn't regulate things.
    They have never found a reason for my issues.
    I don't want any more kids as 3 is enough for us.
    I'm thinking the 3 monthly injection, or the iud. I'd even thought about getting my tubes done, but don't want a hospital stay etc.
    What are my options?
    I plan to speak to my gp in 3 weeks when I have my checkup but wondering what others have experienced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The three month injection is incredible if you don't want kids. I did it 8 years, and didn't have AF for most of that time. It's not easy to come off of, if you change your mind. It took me 2 years to conceive after I stopped, as it totally mucked up my cycles and ovulation. I'd never recommend it to anyone before they've had children for that reason. But if you're sure you're done, then it could be an option for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are the side effects? I'd heard they can be pretty horrid. Myself and dh know we are done... he is older than me in his 60's so not more for us. Plus 3 in enough for us. What happens when you do go off it?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was on the injections the main side effect for me was no AF. That took about 3 months, because I got "break through" bleeding on and off for the first time. I had to take daily meds to stop that. Annoying! After the second injection AF stopped and didn't come back. I didn't notice any other side effects (weight gain, moodiness etc). Which was great when I was 19, footloose and fancy free! Only had to remember the date to go back for the next injection. No worries about babies!

But it was poison for my fertility when I stopped, and I know that is very common. So I'd only suggest it if you were 100% sure you're done with having babies.

Remember I'm no doctor! Talk through the options with your GP or OBGYN. They'll know you full history and what's right for you.