+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netispaghetti View Post
    I'm soon going to have my bub and I'm taking the 12 wk maternity leave with my APA and at my uni (UNSW) they have a maternity scholarship that extends this to a total of 6 months maternity leave. I'm not sure if it's the only uni that does it but in part the initiative was started because we can only take program leave from our phd over full semesters.

I haven't looked at the PPL honestly because I thought I wouldn't be able to meet the work requirements because at the uni phd's are classified as students and not staff...might be worth checking out...but then again I'm hoping to only take 6 months off because I'm close to finishing and applying for funding for a postdoc o/s!

YEY! Science!
    Oh that's awesome! I just looked it doesn't look like my university offers them..

Yes, I have also started to look for post doc positions overseas. Slightly worried about doing that with a baby! How are you going with it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleBH View Post
    You would have received the PPL due to your part time hours so I'm assuming that it is separate from your scholarship, from what I understand OP isn't working in addition to the scholarship? From what I have read it doesn't satisfy the work test for PPL - BUT it wouldn't hurt to apply for it anyway?
    Yes sorry.

I got paid leave from APA scholarship (12 weeks at APA rate). Then paid leave from govt and job due to part time work. Scholarship def doesn't contribute towards work for govt PPL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did some casual tutoring and marking to get my hours up to meet the work test for the govt PPL. Something to consider if it would help/work for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thescientist View Post
    Oh that's awesome! I just looked it doesn't look like my university offers them..

Yes, I have also started to look for post doc positions overseas. Slightly worried about doing that with a baby! How are you going with it?
    My options are looking pretty good, hopefully Switzerland with a group I've collaborated with during my phd but also talking to some groups in the US...the challenging part is keeping in touch while on mat leave and applying for fellowships...so much to do!

I'm not so worried about moving overseas with a baby...yet! It's more trying to figure out childcare so that I can finish my phd in time and afford to live!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I really want to go to Switzerland too!! But unfortunately I don't have collaborations there 👎

Thanks
    Reviews
    A bit off topic, sorry, but I an going to apply for phd this year and I have two kids. They will be 3.5 and 1 when I start. Just not sure how feasible is that with two kids. Fingers crossed I can get APA or something similar, otherwise I can't even afford to put them in childcare.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    @HLE I think this depends entirely on what discipline it is and your project. If you have a supportive partner/family that are able to help you out a lot when you need time to study you can do it but it will be hard! Organization will be key.

My project was a massive amount of work the first 18 months and now it's coming to the writing stages, so while I still have a lot of work to do it's more manageable now. I worked on my experiments (science based) on weekends and public holidays and I was dog tired. But I also had absolutely no work/life balance and was pushed relentlessly to produce huge amounts of work (work that wasn't even my own!). I've stepped way back now, there's no reason to be like that and I now refuse to do any work on other peoples projects, especially as I wasn't getting put on the publications, there was really no benefit to me to do it. You can work hard without doing yourself in, you just need to find the balance and learn when to say no!

Good luck with it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

HLE (07-02-2015)