+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default APA scholarships and paid parental leave

I'm currently on an apa scholarship, and potentially wanting to ttc, but need to work out what I'd be eligible for..

The scholarship isn't taxed, but I do work 60+ hours a week.... I can't seem to work out online if I would be eligible for it... All I found was a huge document on ppl that had one sentence in it, saying that phd students on scholarships should be eligible but it never indicated if they were or not...

Had anyone ever received it on a scholarship? Or did you just take the baby bonus?

Tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey! Science, yay!
    I'm on leave from my APA funded PhD right now with my 6 month old.
    The APA gives 12 weeks of paid maternity leave that you can take at any time after you've completed 1 year of your degree, it pays at the same rate as the standard scholarship (ie less than minimum wage ). I took the 12 weeks leave and also suspended my candidature for 2 semesters.
    We also received the newborn supplement and FTB A and B since we're now on a single low income (DP is also doing a PhD). The "baby bonus" has been replaced with the newborn supplement.

When you say you work 60+ hours a week, I'm assuming that's on your project not separate, taxable paid work? (sounds like normal research hours!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha yeah 60 hours at Uni! I've only got a year (+6 months extension) to go! Thank god haha

What is the new born supplement?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thescientist View Post
    What is the new born supplement?
    Basically a smaller baby bonus
    It's about 2k given in fortnightly payments of a few hundred at a time. Sorry to be so vague, I don't think I remember anything from the newborn phase!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also got PPL whilst on APA scholarship
    plus I met requirements for the federal govt PPL with my part time work (as well as PPL from my work... Yes very lucky but made up for low PhD income for years!!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly6034 View Post
    I also got PPL whilst on APA scholarship
    plus I met requirements for the federal govt PPL with my part time work (as well as PPL from my work... Yes very lucky but made up for low PhD income for years!!!)
    You would have received the PPL due to your part time hours so I'm assuming that it is separate from your scholarship, from what I understand OP isn't working in addition to the scholarship? From what I have read it doesn't satisfy the work test for PPL - BUT it wouldn't hurt to apply for it anyway?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I don't do any additional work - there's no time lol

I read on another forum that a lady on a scholarship rung centerlink and they told her shed be entitled to it... I'm worried however, I'd apply for it, get it, then they'd realise and make me pay it all back once it's already been spent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    Hey! Science, yay!
    I'm on leave from my APA funded PhD right now with my 6 month old.
    The APA gives 12 weeks of paid maternity leave that you can take at any time after you've completed 1 year of your degree, it pays at the same rate as the standard scholarship (ie less than minimum wage ). I took the 12 weeks leave and also suspended my candidature for 2 semesters.
    We also received the newborn supplement and FTB A and B since we're now on a single low income (DP is also doing a PhD). The "baby bonus" has been replaced with the newborn supplement.

When you say you work 60+ hours a week, I'm assuming that's on your project not separate, taxable paid work? (sounds like normal research hours!)
    Same as me. You don't qualify for PPL unless you work in a job and paying tax, and meet the minimum requirements for it. If you're "only" (ha!) doing a PhD you won't qualify. I had done demonstrating and was paid but I didn't meet the minimum requirements. So I received the 12 weeks maternity leave from the APA, I'm taking 6 months intermission, and we got the newborn supplement ($1000) and the FTB A & B. That's all you qualify for I'm afraid. What a joke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thescientist View Post
    Yeah I don't do any additional work - there's no time lol

I read on another forum that a lady on a scholarship rung centerlink and they told her shed be entitled to it... I'm worried however, I'd apply for it, get it, then they'd realise and make me pay it all back once it's already been spent!
    Yeah I tried this. No dice. I saw that post as well and I'm skeptical of it tbh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm soon going to have my bub and I'm taking the 12 wk maternity leave with my APA and at my uni (UNSW) they have a maternity scholarship that extends this to a total of 6 months maternity leave. I'm not sure if it's the only uni that does it but in part the initiative was started because we can only take program leave from our phd over full semesters.

I haven't looked at the PPL honestly because I thought I wouldn't be able to meet the work requirements because at the uni phd's are classified as students and not staff...might be worth checking out...but then again I'm hoping to only take 6 months off because I'm close to finishing and applying for funding for a postdoc o/s!

YEY! Science!