+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Oh no. I'm sorry you lost another girl.
    It was my two biggest girls. So I'd say they just had too much weight on them to cool properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I got hubby to go to Bunnings yesterday. When we get the new coop (2 weeks or so) I am going to set up a misting system for it to make sure it's the coolest outdoor space we have.

I ended up losing a baby Plymouth too. Today is supposed to only get to 41 I think, so much better than yesterday. Leaving all the yard open for them again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not another one . I hope you're OK. I hate loosing my girls. Especially when they aren't that old. If you live in a hot climate, a misting system should make a huge difference for them. Where I grew up, a cool summers day was 38. Our pen had a huge fig tree in it and was a lot cooler because of the shade. I think mum used to squirt the dirt with water for them too.

Have they moulted? They will be hotter if they still have winter feathers too. We keep having a few hot followed by a few cold days here. My poor girls started moulting in the heat and then we've had some very cold nights so they've stopped mid-moult! All the changing weather has them a little confused I think

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    So I got hubby to go to Bunnings yesterday. When we get the new coop (2 weeks or so) I am going to set up a misting system for it to make sure it's the coolest outdoor space we have.

I ended up losing a baby Plymouth too. Today is supposed to only get to 41 I think, so much better than yesterday. Leaving all the yard open for them again.
    'Only' 41....far out, you know it's hot when you say that, hey. We're in Gippsland (Vic), and we've only had one little string of hot days so far all summer. Not a very hot summer for us so far, thankfully.

DP nearly stood on a tiger snake in the chicken coop when he went down to lock them up for the night last night! Eek! While he was trying to get it out it hissed and then a mouse ran over the snake and past DP. Scared the crud out of him!! Too risky to leave it there with the kids going in to get eggs, not to mention the chooks being in danger.

I'm pleased to report *touch wood* that our girls seem to have stopped eating their eggs. Very happy about that!

To answer a question above ^^^ about whether we feed them the shells: did once, but crushed them up well, so they definitely didn't look like eggs anymore. I don't do it anymore, not since the egg eating saga, don't want to risk them getting the taste for it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not another one . I hope you're OK. I hate loosing my girls. Especially when they aren't that old. If you live in a hot climate, a misting system should make a huge difference for them. Where I grew up, a cool summers day was 38. Our pen had a huge fig tree in it and was a lot cooler because of the shade. I think mum used to squirt the dirt with water for them too.

Have they moulted? They will be hotter if they still have winter feathers too. We keep having a few hot followed by a few cold days here. My poor girls started moulting in the heat and then we've had some very cold nights so they've stopped mid-moult! All the changing weather has them a little confused I think
    My Isas have just come out the other side of molt (still look ratty but are back to laying).

They do have plenty of shade but I think it was just too hot in the air for them. Definitely going to set up a misting system. This has been a pretty mild summer for us, but I only got my chooks last year towards the end up summer so this was my first full hot season with them. Learned a lot of lessons but feel horrible that the birds were the ones that had to pay for my mistakes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Californication  (18-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Backyard chickens anyone?

Oh gosh, my flock is just getting smaller and smaller by the day.
    One of my "hens" has turned out to be of the cockerel persuasion. I even said to hubby yesterday "I bet that one is a bloody rooster". He walked far more upright than the others. Bright red and very large comb. And the fact we had to clip his wings because he insists on sitting on our 6 foot fences or the roof of the next door house. Also, he was always really noisey and it didn't sound like clucking. But I wasn't experienced enough with chickens to be sure.
    Then sure enough, this morning a 5:30...
    ****-A-DOODLE-DOO .

We ended up catching him, putting him in the cage under a blanket in the laundry. Despite living very country, we are actually on a street, not a property and so we can't have a rooster here. So have popped him up on the local buy sell swap and will hope someone grabs him today.

I also have suspect about one of the others.

These were rescue birds from a flooded out poultry farm, and I got them all quite young. As in none are laying yet. He was one of the biggest.

Edit: yep, the other one I was suspicious of started trying to crow after we removed the other one. I found a home for the first one so maybe he will take both.
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 22-01-2017 at 06:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both gone. Rehomed, no culling involved. Going to live on a far with 14 hens so they'll be just as happy there

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Californication  (22-01-2017),gingermillie  (22-01-2017),Stretched  (22-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Being upright is a good indicator of being a boy when they are young. Glad you rehomed them, though I'm not a fan of roosters! All the ones I've raised have been pr!cks. Attacked either me or the kids. We've had 3 and they've all gone to the big chook house in the sky.

So has one of my girls . Lost her Thursday. Don't know why. Just found her dead when DS went to lock them up. Possibly ate something poisonous as she wasn't that old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being upright is a good indicator of being a boy when they are young. Glad you rehomed them, though I'm not a fan of roosters! All the ones I've raised have been pr!cks. Attacked either me or the kids. We've had 3 and they've all gone to the big chook house in the sky.

So has one of my girls . Lost her Thursday. Don't know why. Just found her dead when DS went to lock them up. Possibly ate something poisonous as she wasn't that old.
    These ones weren't aggressive at all thankfully. A bit rough with the hens but wouldn't come near us at all. I think that's how I missed it for so long. I rarely got a good look at them. But the last few weeks it became more and more obvious. And then a close look at their heads, I don't know how I missed it...
    IMG_1485052100.402996.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Californication  (22-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had one particularly nasty roo, but the boys I have now are sweeties.
    IMG_1485052442.660798.jpgIMG_1485052512.922406.jpg