+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Argh. Now I lost my big Plymouth Rock I would say it's the heat. Been 42-44 here lately and maybe it just got to her. Hubby is away in town all this week. Going to see if I can get him to pick up a little solar powered desk fan type something from somewhere that I can put in their house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Argh. Now I lost my big Plymouth Rock I would say it's the heat. Been 42-44 here lately and maybe it just got to her. Hubby is away in town all this week. Going to see if I can get him to pick up a little solar powered desk fan type something from somewhere that I can put in their house.
    Oh no, sorry to hear that The heat is pretty hard for chooks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I opened up their yard so they can come up to the house, into my carport etc. hopefully it's cooler there for them. Wasn't fun running around trying to catch them to show them where to go. It's already 40° out there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh no! We very rarely get over 40 here, so we don't have that problem. But I know if it's 36-38, they will hide under our house (built into a hill so there's space under the one storey section) where it's cooler until the sun has moved and there's more shade in the yard.

Hollywood - do you feed your girls the eggshells? Make sure you crush them up so they don't have the egg shape. Otherwise they can think it's OK to eat the eggs. Mine done often eat their eggs. But they have if the kids forget to tell me the feeders are empty when they let them out. If we are out for the day, I loose eggs to crows though - buggers steal them from the house and eat them in the pen, and broody hens often break them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Oh no! We very rarely get over 40 here, so we don't have that problem. But I know if it's 36-38, they will hide under our house (built into a hill so there's space under the one storey section) where it's cooler until the sun has moved and there's more shade in the yard.
    I ended up our ending up their yard and catching them all to put them in my carport and have had a sprinkler going right next to the carport all day. Plenty of food and water there for them too. Still panting a little and extending their wings, but looking much better. Lost an Australorp too and she ended up back out in the yard in the sun after I moved her. Was only inside for an hour so it happened quick.

We're up to about 44° now. I told hubby if it gets over 45, I'm going to close off our laundry and bathroom (3 seperate rooms but all connected by doors) and bring them in the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sorry to hear that @Ahalfdozen. I've just got home it's 40 here today too and my girls were struggling big time with their beaks open so I've been misting them and their run down to give them some cooler ground to walk on (they're in the shade anyway).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Backyard chickens anyone?

Been googling and drawing and all sorts and have designed what I think will be a much cooler chook house. And will have more room so they hopefully don't insist on snuggling together.

Hubby is in Sydney so I sent him to Bunnings to get me some supplies
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 17-01-2017 at 15:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yeah the heat is pretty hard on them. Just make sure they have some cook place to hang out. Mine all hang out under out passionfruit vine when its really hot.

I feed them frozen watermelon...they love it. and i make these for them for when its super hot. I call them cornsicles hahahaha
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/88...he-summer-heat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I ended up our ending up their yard and catching them all to put them in my carport and have had a sprinkler going right next to the carport all day. Plenty of food and water there for them too. Still panting a little and extending their wings, but looking much better. Lost an Australorp too and she ended up back out in the yard in the sun after I moved her. Was only inside for an hour so it happened quick.

We're up to about 44° now. I told hubby if it gets over 45, I'm going to close off our laundry and bathroom (3 seperate rooms but all connected by doors) and bring them in the house.
    Oh no. I'm sorry you lost another girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    yeah the heat is pretty hard on them. Just make sure they have some cook place to hang out. Mine all hang out under out passionfruit vine when its really hot.

I feed them frozen watermelon...they love it. and i make these for them for when its super hot. I call them cornsicles hahahaha
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/88...he-summer-heat
    I think the issue today was just that the air was so hot, and the breeze was hotter, that even the shade was too hot. They hung out in my carport next to the sprinkler all night and seem to be okay now.

I make similar ones but I make a big one in my kugelhopf pan. I think there is a photo of it with lettuce a few posts up.