+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 293
  1. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,449
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked
    2,455
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Argh. Now I lost my big Plymouth Rock I would say it's the heat. Been 42-44 here lately and maybe it just got to her. Hubby is away in town all this week. Going to see if I can get him to pick up a little solar powered desk fan type something from somewhere that I can put in their house.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    15,238
    Thanks
    1,353
    Thanked
    4,477
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Argh. Now I lost my big Plymouth Rock I would say it's the heat. Been 42-44 here lately and maybe it just got to her. Hubby is away in town all this week. Going to see if I can get him to pick up a little solar powered desk fan type something from somewhere that I can put in their house.
    Oh no, sorry to hear that The heat is pretty hard for chooks

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,449
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked
    2,455
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I opened up their yard so they can come up to the house, into my carport etc. hopefully it's cooler there for them. Wasn't fun running around trying to catch them to show them where to go. It's already 40° out there

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    7,791
    Thanks
    4,834
    Thanked
    4,147
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh no! We very rarely get over 40 here, so we don't have that problem. But I know if it's 36-38, they will hide under our house (built into a hill so there's space under the one storey section) where it's cooler until the sun has moved and there's more shade in the yard.

    Hollywood - do you feed your girls the eggshells? Make sure you crush them up so they don't have the egg shape. Otherwise they can think it's OK to eat the eggs. Mine done often eat their eggs. But they have if the kids forget to tell me the feeders are empty when they let them out. If we are out for the day, I loose eggs to crows though - buggers steal them from the house and eat them in the pen, and broody hens often break them.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,449
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked
    2,455
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Oh no! We very rarely get over 40 here, so we don't have that problem. But I know if it's 36-38, they will hide under our house (built into a hill so there's space under the one storey section) where it's cooler until the sun has moved and there's more shade in the yard.
    I ended up our ending up their yard and catching them all to put them in my carport and have had a sprinkler going right next to the carport all day. Plenty of food and water there for them too. Still panting a little and extending their wings, but looking much better. Lost an Australorp too and she ended up back out in the yard in the sun after I moved her. Was only inside for an hour so it happened quick.

    We're up to about 44° now. I told hubby if it gets over 45, I'm going to close off our laundry and bathroom (3 seperate rooms but all connected by doors) and bring them in the house.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    4,503
    Thanks
    5,909
    Thanked
    4,729
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Argh. Now I lost my big Plymouth Rock I would say it's the heat. Been 42-44 here lately and maybe it just got to her. Hubby is away in town all this week. Going to see if I can get him to pick up a little solar powered desk fan type something from somewhere that I can put in their house.
    So sorry to hear that @Ahalfdozen. I've just got home it's 40 here today too and my girls were struggling big time with their beaks open so I've been misting them and their run down to give them some cooler ground to walk on (they're in the shade anyway).

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,449
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked
    2,455
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Backyard chickens anyone?

    Been googling and drawing and all sorts and have designed what I think will be a much cooler chook house. And will have more room so they hopefully don't insist on snuggling together.

    Hubby is in Sydney so I sent him to Bunnings to get me some supplies
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 17-01-2017 at 15:33.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,171
    Thanks
    207
    Thanked
    462
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yeah the heat is pretty hard on them. Just make sure they have some cook place to hang out. Mine all hang out under out passionfruit vine when its really hot.

    I feed them frozen watermelon...they love it. and i make these for them for when its super hot. I call them cornsicles hahahaha
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/88...he-summer-heat

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    7,791
    Thanks
    4,834
    Thanked
    4,147
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I ended up our ending up their yard and catching them all to put them in my carport and have had a sprinkler going right next to the carport all day. Plenty of food and water there for them too. Still panting a little and extending their wings, but looking much better. Lost an Australorp too and she ended up back out in the yard in the sun after I moved her. Was only inside for an hour so it happened quick.

    We're up to about 44° now. I told hubby if it gets over 45, I'm going to close off our laundry and bathroom (3 seperate rooms but all connected by doors) and bring them in the house.
    Oh no. I'm sorry you lost another girl.

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,449
    Thanks
    109
    Thanked
    2,455
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    yeah the heat is pretty hard on them. Just make sure they have some cook place to hang out. Mine all hang out under out passionfruit vine when its really hot.

    I feed them frozen watermelon...they love it. and i make these for them for when its super hot. I call them cornsicles hahahaha
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/88...he-summer-heat
    I think the issue today was just that the air was so hot, and the breeze was hotter, that even the shade was too hot. They hung out in my carport next to the sprinkler all night and seem to be okay now.

    I make similar ones but I make a big one in my kugelhopf pan. I think there is a photo of it with lettuce a few posts up.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Sydney backyard wanted for a makeover!
    By BH-community in forum Media Requests
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 13:32
  2. Backyard Chickens!! Any tips?
    By starla in forum Pets
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 27-03-2014, 13:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Innovations Sports PhysiotherapyWomen’s Health Physios who are able to assess and treat a wide range of Pregnancy and Post Natal Issues. We offer ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›