+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd love to get some more chooks. I'm totally in love with the Old English Game Bantams. They're so pretty.

As for my chooks, I'm seriously looking into making roll away nesting boxes for them to lay in. One of them has gotten the taste for eggs and if any eggs are left in the nesting boxes after lunch time she eats them. I'm furious!!! Haven't actually caught the offending chook in the act, and it's possible that it's more than one, but it's very clear that this is what's happening. I know it's not all of them because if any of them lay in random spots around the house/sheds, those eggs are left in tact. A couple of weeks ago I discovered a secret nest and there were about 8 eggs there, all perfect. So I know it's not all of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    IMG_1481496451.624052.jpg
    This is what I meant by roll away nesting box, if anyone is curious.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh that's a really cool idea.
    I'm currently having a friend (who works at Bunnings) price me up some materials so I can build a coop. I might take the roll aways into consideration. We don't have problems but I assume it would be easy to do while building rather than retrofit if we get a problem later on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah if you can do it at construction then it prevents any problems. Once they start eating their eggs it's incredibly hard to stop them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have any egg eaters but I have serial broodies. I can't leave eggs anywhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We thought we had serial egg eaters but we discovered it was actually bush rats (we live on a rural property with lots of bushland) getting in at night if we hadn't collected eggs that day. We got a roll away nesting box but they figured that one out too. Naturally as the rats had started the egg eating, the chooks would continue it if given half a chance. Very frustrating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zalimama View Post
    We thought we had serial egg eaters but we discovered it was actually bush rats (we live on a rural property with lots of bushland) getting in at night if we hadn't collected eggs that day. We got a roll away nesting box but they figured that one out too. Naturally as the rats had started the egg eating, the chooks would continue it if given half a chance. Very frustrating!
    Wow, how annoying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I picked up my 3 8week Plymouth Rocks and also got a 1yo. I'm so excited to get them home. The 1yo isn't a "in the run" chook, she will be staying on our side of the fence as a pet I think. I watched the lady pick her up and the chook straight away closed her eyes and nuzzled into the ladies neck. I love her already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very jealous of the barred Plymouth rocks ladies! They were out of our budget. The buff Orpingtons at the chook farm seemed to have a great temperament but again out of budget!

The roll away nesting boxes look like a good solution but will they lay without a "nest". Even when mine lay in random places they still form a hole in the dirt/mulch or sit in the mondo grass and push it down.

I don't know if it works for egg eating but when my biggest girl started eating feathers off the rest of the girls I upped the protein, gave them some meat and bones etc. Which stopped her hankering for feathers thankfully!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were very lucky with our Plymouth Rocks. The 8weekers were 15per bird and the 1yo was actually her pet and she was reluctant to sell but she didn't feel like she was a suitable home for her anymore, so we only paid 20 for her.