ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IMG_1480225344.306104.jpg

We are up to 3 Isa Browns, 2 Rhode Island Reds and 8 Australorps, but two of the Australorps I am chucking sitting for my SIL as her dogs got in her pen.

I hopefully have 4 more Isas on the way and I have recently fallen in love with the Plymouth Rocks so as soon as I find some for sale nearby, I might pick up two of those as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had a bad chicken year. I've lost one to old age, 4 to predators and one just up and died on me the other day. Couldn't see any reason why, so thinking she ate something like a spider or a bee that poisoned her

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my first year raising chickens. I'm learning so much, but it's coming at a high cost. I had 15 ladies and now I'm down to 11; one just died, neighbors dog ate 3. I've decided to clip their wings to keep them safe and in the fencing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just wondering how many of you have a normal suburban lot with your chickens? We live on a 600 sqm block in inner Brisbane and are finding the noise of our 4 chooks in the morning before we let them out of the coop a challenge. Have had a complaint about t from the neighbours! Is everyone else in rural or semi rural blocks or are there any other city chook owners?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    Just wondering how many of you have a normal suburban lot with your chickens? We live on a 600 sqm block in inner Brisbane and are finding the noise of our 4 chooks in the morning before we let them out of the coop a challenge. Have had a complaint about t from the neighbours! Is everyone else in rural or semi rural blocks or are there any other city chook owners?
    No a chook owner myself, however I live in a surburban area and our neighbours have chooks. Actually heaps of people around here seem to have them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We are rural, but they can be loud - especially when laying! Is your coop dark? That will help keep them quiet in the mornings. Ours are maybe 50m from the house and I don't hear them until we let them out of their house first thing. But they do book-book and make a lot of noise during the day once they have finished laying and come out of their own to free range.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    We are rural, but they can be loud - especially when laying! Is your coop dark? That will help keep them quiet in the mornings. Ours are maybe 50m from the house and I don't hear them until we let them out of their house first thing. But they do book-book and make a lot of noise during the day once they have finished laying and come out of their own to free range.
    We are trying to find ways of making the coop darker. It's a large coop, used to be an aviary I think. In one side of the open caged front we have a matchstick blind, but the other side is open to the light. Any ideas on a good covering that would be easy to remove or raise in the mornings? I'll post a photo of the coop tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Suburbs here. The ladies are noisy when its time to lay but otherwise aren't too bad. Mine free range so I guess if there's a problem with one, they walk or fly somewhere else to avoid conflicts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try some black material. Hook it up with shower curtain clips or a curtain rod. Would make it darker, but easy to open and you could have it a couple of inches off the ground to let air though? It doesn't need to be pitch black, just dim. Ours is purpose built by DH and apart from the door, has a couple of Windows so it's not pitch black, but dim enough to keep them quiet. Window don't face the sunrise either, so that helps

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

TreeGirl  (27-11-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    IMG_1480452056.108486.jpg
    Went in early to let the girls out for the day and there were two in one nesting box. Always wondered what system they had for laying in the one box! Wasn't sure if they politely took turns.....apparently not! Lol