+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 284
  1. #181
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    15,211
    Thanks
    1,344
    Thanked
    4,448
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDE View Post
    Hi chicken mummys, I'm just after a little advice. Do you ladies have any trouble with mice/rats attracting snakes? We live close to bushland and have seen a few brown snakes so really don't want to increase that number. Also we have a garden shed that we were thinking of turning into the coop it has a concrete floor do you think that will be to had on the chickens feet? To hot in summer? They can run free during the day
    We live on a farm and mice are just a part of life, especially once you introduce chooks (and therefore food source - mice eat their pellets). Therefore yes, snakes will be around. We try to keep on top of the mice with bait stations so that hopefully there won't be *too* many snakes. Saw about 5 near the house this whole summer, which isn't too bad, considering we're out in the middle of the countryside.

    Our chook house was once a shed of some sort and it has a concrete floor. We lay straw on the concrete, and our 6 chooks free range all day so it's not so crucial what the floor in there is made of. We use a shovel to clean out under the roost (so much chook manure!).

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

    CharlieDE  (04-05-2017)

  3. #182
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    99
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked
    135
    Reviews
    0
    Thanks ladies I went out to a chicken breeder yesterday arvo she gave me some advice on reducing the rodent issue with coop setup. I just hate snakes! Especially brown snakes! Our yard backs onto a slow running creek so snakes and rats love it.
    Go back next week to pick up some day olds

  4. #183
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    7,734
    Thanks
    4,707
    Thanked
    4,097
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've lost one of my girls . I'm thinking it was an eagle as can't find any trace of her or feathers. I think it happened while I was at work

  5. #184
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    15,211
    Thanks
    1,344
    Thanked
    4,448
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I've lost one of my girls . I'm thinking it was an eagle as can't find any trace of her or feathers. I think it happened while I was at work
    Oh no, so sorry to hear that

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

    Californication  (05-05-2017)

  7. #185
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked
    781
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I've lost one of my girls . I'm thinking it was an eagle as can't find any trace of her or feathers. I think it happened while I was at work
    Damn, us too. Lost our biggest chook who was our predominant layer. Our other 2 I just consider as fluffy lawn ornaments.

  8. #186
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    7,734
    Thanks
    4,707
    Thanked
    4,097
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heids89 View Post
    Damn, us too. Lost our biggest chook who was our predominant layer. Our other 2 I just consider as fluffy lawn ornaments.
    Must be the week for it. I'm sorry you've lost a girl too. Especially your best layer! I'm not sure mine was laying. She was a Speckled Sussex and she and the 3 Gold Lace Wyandottes usually go "nope" at the first hint of cold weather! But I have 11 Isa's who keep me in eggs.

  9. #187
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked
    781
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Must be the week for it. I'm sorry you've lost a girl too. Especially your best layer! I'm not sure mine was laying. She was a Speckled Sussex and she and the 3 Gold Lace Wyandottes usually go "nope" at the first hint of cold weather! But I have 11 Isa's who keep me in eggs.
    Must be. She was an Isa and heaps bigger than our pekins so im not entirely sure that a bird of prey got her. She was super friendly and flew fences so may have gone walkabouts and met a nasty fate elsewhere

  10. #188
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    7,734
    Thanks
    4,707
    Thanked
    4,097
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heids89 View Post
    Must be. She was an Isa and heaps bigger than our pekins so im not entirely sure that a bird of prey got her. She was super friendly and flew fences so may have gone walkabouts and met a nasty fate elsewhere
    A big eagle can easily take a big chicken. My Sussex was huge! But I've had Wedgetail Eagles here before (lost 2 ) and they were 4 times the size of my biggest chickens. Foxes will usually leave a feather trail. It might be the circle of life, but I hate it when I lose girls. They are so sweet and follow me around. I hate to think of them being scared and me not being here to protect them.

  11. #189
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    247
    Thanked
    781
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    A big eagle can easily take a big chicken. My Sussex was huge! But I've had Wedgetail Eagles here before (lost 2 ) and they were 4 times the size of my biggest chickens. Foxes will usually leave a feather trail. It might be the circle of life, but I hate it when I lose girls. They are so sweet and follow me around. I hate to think of them being scared and me not being here to protect them.
    I've never seen wedgetails around here, only the smaller birds of prey, but still highly likely. No foxes here, and I'm smack bang in the middle.of the 'burbs' so she might have been in a neighbours yard and been attacked by a dog/cat. Yes it's so sad

  12. #190
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Country WA
    Posts
    7,734
    Thanks
    4,707
    Thanked
    4,097
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That is possible too. Do you have a local FB page? You could post on there. We live rural, but chickens in town here often go for a walk and are often found on the FB pages!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Sydney backyard wanted for a makeover!
    By BH-community in forum Media Requests
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2014, 13:32
  2. Backyard Chickens!! Any tips?
    By starla in forum Pets
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 27-03-2014, 13:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Cots on BubhubLooking to buy a cot or bassinet? :: Cot safety checklist :: Local or online nursery ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›