+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDE View Post
    Hi chicken mummys, I'm just after a little advice. Do you ladies have any trouble with mice/rats attracting snakes? We live close to bushland and have seen a few brown snakes so really don't want to increase that number. Also we have a garden shed that we were thinking of turning into the coop it has a concrete floor do you think that will be to had on the chickens feet? To hot in summer? They can run free during the day
    We live on a farm and mice are just a part of life, especially once you introduce chooks (and therefore food source - mice eat their pellets). Therefore yes, snakes will be around. We try to keep on top of the mice with bait stations so that hopefully there won't be *too* many snakes. Saw about 5 near the house this whole summer, which isn't too bad, considering we're out in the middle of the countryside.

Our chook house was once a shed of some sort and it has a concrete floor. We lay straw on the concrete, and our 6 chooks free range all day so it's not so crucial what the floor in there is made of. We use a shovel to clean out under the roost (so much chook manure!).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

CharlieDE  (04-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies I went out to a chicken breeder yesterday arvo she gave me some advice on reducing the rodent issue with coop setup. I just hate snakes! Especially brown snakes! Our yard backs onto a slow running creek so snakes and rats love it.
    Go back next week to pick up some day olds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've lost one of my girls . I'm thinking it was an eagle as can't find any trace of her or feathers. I think it happened while I was at work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I've lost one of my girls . I'm thinking it was an eagle as can't find any trace of her or feathers. I think it happened while I was at work
    Oh no, so sorry to hear that

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Californication  (05-05-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Damn, us too. Lost our biggest chook who was our predominant layer. Our other 2 I just consider as fluffy lawn ornaments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heids89 View Post
    Damn, us too. Lost our biggest chook who was our predominant layer. Our other 2 I just consider as fluffy lawn ornaments.
    Must be the week for it. I'm sorry you've lost a girl too. Especially your best layer! I'm not sure mine was laying. She was a Speckled Sussex and she and the 3 Gold Lace Wyandottes usually go "nope" at the first hint of cold weather! But I have 11 Isa's who keep me in eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Must be the week for it. I'm sorry you've lost a girl too. Especially your best layer! I'm not sure mine was laying. She was a Speckled Sussex and she and the 3 Gold Lace Wyandottes usually go "nope" at the first hint of cold weather! But I have 11 Isa's who keep me in eggs.
    Must be. She was an Isa and heaps bigger than our pekins so im not entirely sure that a bird of prey got her. She was super friendly and flew fences so may have gone walkabouts and met a nasty fate elsewhere

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Heids89 View Post
    Must be. She was an Isa and heaps bigger than our pekins so im not entirely sure that a bird of prey got her. She was super friendly and flew fences so may have gone walkabouts and met a nasty fate elsewhere
    A big eagle can easily take a big chicken. My Sussex was huge! But I've had Wedgetail Eagles here before (lost 2 ) and they were 4 times the size of my biggest chickens. Foxes will usually leave a feather trail. It might be the circle of life, but I hate it when I lose girls. They are so sweet and follow me around. I hate to think of them being scared and me not being here to protect them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A big eagle can easily take a big chicken. My Sussex was huge! But I've had Wedgetail Eagles here before (lost 2 ) and they were 4 times the size of my biggest chickens. Foxes will usually leave a feather trail. It might be the circle of life, but I hate it when I lose girls. They are so sweet and follow me around. I hate to think of them being scared and me not being here to protect them.
    I've never seen wedgetails around here, only the smaller birds of prey, but still highly likely. No foxes here, and I'm smack bang in the middle.of the 'burbs' so she might have been in a neighbours yard and been attacked by a dog/cat. Yes it's so sad

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is possible too. Do you have a local FB page? You could post on there. We live rural, but chickens in town here often go for a walk and are often found on the FB pages!