+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Loving the egg photos. Our biggest to date is 90g which was a double yolker. One of our two 'newbies' lays normal sized eggs now but the other still does cute little ones (40g so still decent, just not big enough to put in the cartons we sell).

I also don't have a first aid kit, just wormer tablets. I do handle the birds regularly and check for any issues (the pouch along their throat - crop? - isn't inflamed, mites, scabs on wattles/comb, unusual hardness near the vent, etc. We're rural but not isolated, so it's pretty easy to get to a vet/chemist most days.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Californication  (13-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Loving the egg photos. Our biggest to date is 90g which was a double yolker. One of our two 'newbies' lays normal sized eggs now but the other still does cute little ones (40g so still decent, just not big enough to put in the cartons we sell).

I also don't have a first aid kit, just wormer tablets. I do handle the birds regularly and check for any issues (the pouch along their throat - crop? - isn't inflamed, mites, scabs on wattles/comb, unusual hardness near the vent, etc. We're rural but not isolated, so it's pretty easy to get to a vet/chemist most days.
    Same here. No first aid kit but I do check regularly for poultry lice and I've got lice powder in the cupboard if needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have a massive first aid kit either. I have worming liquid, dust for mites and betadine spray, but that's it. I just make sure to spend time watching them every day to check they are OK, and check any more thoroughly if they aren't acting normally and go from there.

I have had 2 chickens just up and die on me 5 months apart not long ago. Came to the conclusion they ate something poisonous or a bee or something like that as they weren't old and were fine when I let them out, dead when I went to lock them up .

The rest of my losses were foxes, Eagles (who killed 2 in their pen while I was out one morning ) and a couple that died of old age, so we knew it was coming. But predators are what I worry about as we live rural and I know there are foxes around all the time. And even locking them up before sundown, I still occasionally find one is missing.

I let mine out in the afternoon, but they are locked in their house in their pen at night for their protection. When we first moved here and got chooks, I only used to lock the pen. Lost 2 chickens in one night to a fox and another was badly wounded on her leg. She had feathers missing and a big hole in her skin where it bit her, but luckily it hadn't damaged her muscle/tendons etc underneath. I thought she would die of shock, but managed to nurse her back with some TLC and lots of betadine on her injuries. She limped a little until she died years later (one of the old age girls I lost) but was a good little chicken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (24-02-2017),Stretched  (25-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone seen the video of the chooks who got a xylophone attached to the wall of the pen to help with boredom? Lol! DH showed it to DD - now she's on s mission to get one for her chooks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post - my phone hates me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone seen the video of the chooks who got a xylophone attached to the wall of the pen to help with boredom? Lol! DH showed it to DD - now she's on s mission to get one for her chooks!
    My MIL showed it too me. I was sure we had one of those little plastic xylophones but it must not have made it through the last big cull. So I went to buy a new one but couldn't justify the cost haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    My MIL showed it too me. I was sure we had one of those little plastic xylophones but it must not have made it through the last big cull. So I went to buy a new one but couldn't justify the cost haha
    We have a wooden one but DS still uses it. May be that an op shop visit is in order!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I might have to go look! I did see one ages ago where a chook was having a swing though and one where cows were playing soccer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi chooky People

We don't have chickens yet but are planning to get them. We need to fix the fence first and waiting til the neighbour can afford their half. Oh well.

I have a question for the chook owners, particularly anyone in Adelaide or places that get really hot, how do your chickens go in the heat? Do you do anything special to cool them down?