+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JJZK View Post

Failing all of these points, I will cull if they threaten to get too aggressive.
    Yep this is what we are forced to do, especially now that we have young kids around the chooks. If we are especially fond of the rooster we put him in a separate run but I always feel bad separating him out, and then if I put a couple of girls in there with him I feel sorry for them as they obviously have to bear thr brunt of his... ermmmm, prowess!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Backyard chickens anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by zalimama View Post
    Does anyone have any tips on raising placid roosters? We hatch our own chicks periodically but have always ended up with aggressive roosters, even when we have just kept one rooster. Is it all just luck of the draw, or is there some chicken whispering at play?
    I'm 3 for 3 on hand raising @rsehole roosters. Lovely when they are young, cuddled into me same as girls etc, but one the hormones kick in, it's been full on war.

I've only ever had 1 at a time, so they really have no reason to be aggressive. But they see me as a threat because the girls run to me at feeding time or anytime I go outside (I often have all of them following me to the letterbox and bus stop)

The males have always started attacking me once they got to that age. Starts off slow, but they got more aggressive over time. I used to carry a broom with me to keep them at bay, and had to lock them out of the pen while I was collecting eggs as they would go me as soon as my back was turned.

2 never got the idea they weren't top dog, so I rehomed them. 1 did settle down for a couple of weeks after a few good bumps with the broom, but was just biding his time. I was still wary of him, but all it took was one second when I was looking at the sky to see if it was going to rain for him to attack my then 3yo DD. He flew at her with his feet 3 times in as many seconds and scratched and knocked her over while I was trying to pick her up. He then flew at me and nearly knocked us over again. So he got the axe that night when we could catch him.

I know they supposedly protect the group, but I still lost girls with them around and TBH, I don't think any of my girls enjoyed their attentions. They were brutes. My chicken guru says some are just more aggressive than others, some breeds are more placid and young ones can settle down as they mature, but it is in their nature to be aggressive.

I stopped hatching eggs after that. The kids loved watching the chicks grow, but with 2 little at the time kids, I didn't want to risk getting more boys. When a rooster stops the kids going outside for a play, rooster has to go!! I was offered a placid rooster a while ago, but said no thanks! I've been well and truly put off and I don't breed mine, so don't need one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

zalimama  (31-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

JJZK  (03-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Love it
    And all true... @Californication

Thanks
    Reviews
    I picked up 5 new girls on Tuesday to replace the ones I've lost in the past 8 months or so. One had laid an egg in her box! Love an immediate return on an investment. I had them loved in the pen while my old girls were out for the afternoon, and had to put them all to bed that night. Wednesday night, one went into the coop by herself! And last night they all did. I let them out of the pen for a bit yesterday and went up well before sundown to make sure they knew how to get back and they were all there. I love it when they pick these things up quickly. Now I just need 5 new names!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (10-02-2017),JJZK  (10-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck with the new names! We've had such fun naming our girls! Hopefully they settle into the order without too much bloodshed!

A question with the hot weather, 1-2 of our girls seem to go on strike when there's a hot couple of days. For those who give iced treats (frozen lettuce etc) does this help keep them all laying during the heat? They're not acting broody at all so can only put it down to the heat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw this today and while we don't get that hot here, thought it might be handy info for those of you that do! http://readynutrition.com/resources/...mmer_25052016/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I saw this today and while we don't get that hot here, thought it might be handy info for those of you that do! http://readynutrition.com/resources/...mmer_25052016/
    I am so glad, albeit a little surprised, that we didn't lose any today. We got quite hot. I guess it's a testament to the extra effort we put into their shelter the last few weeks to make it heat friendly

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Californication  (12-02-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Thanks for posting that, it does seem to be the sudden heat jumps that cause the problem (yay Melbourne's choppy-changey weather!). I'm thinking it's the girls lower in the order as they don't get to rest in the dirt holes in the shade as much. I think I'll lay a towel over some of their run that doesn't get shade and leave the hose dripping onto it while we're at work next time. Just need to place it carefully as they're scared of the hose!

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm thinking of getting some chickens but I have no idea where to start!