Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Rooster are just such beautiful birds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Rooster are just such beautiful birds.
    Yep, I love my boys.

We lost our fave boy last year. Both hubby and I were gutted. He was a frizzle naked neck that we hatched from an egg. RIP Ginger xxx

IMG_1485081772.756465.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love reading about everyone's chooks I'd love to rescue some one day. Do they restrict you if you want to go on holidays? Do you leave enough food for them or does someone have to come feed them daily? Can they stay in their pens for a week or two if you go away? What's their average lifespan? Sorry for all the questions Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jast View Post
    I love reading about everyone's chooks I'd love to rescue some one day. Do they....l
    In answer to your questions:

Do they restrict you if you want to go on holidays? Do you leave enough food for them or does someone have to come feed them daily?

Somewhat. You can get feeders that will last them X amount of days depending on the size of the feeds and number of chickens. I've never left mine for more than a weekend without having someone come check them and collect the eggs. We also live rural, so need to be aware of foxes so prefer to have someone lock their house at night as am worried foxes could get through the pen and get them!

Can they stay in their pens for a week or two if you go away? Yes, but as above, I wouldn't leave them alone that long.

What's their average lifespan? It depends on breed. Isa's and those bred for egg production don't have as long a lifespan. They lay on average 6 eggs a week, and 5-6 years is usually a good age for them. But the heritage breeds live a lot longer, but don't lay as many eggs per week, but would average the same over their lifespan.

I love my girls. They are quite intelligent, funny and have very individual personalities. Some of mine are quiet and placid, others are cheeky and come in the house/car if I leave a door open!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Jast  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @Californication :-) Your chickens sound wonderful. I've always heard they have great personalities. Hopefully one day we will be able to rescue some :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jast For This Useful Post:

Californication  (23-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quietly following this thread as I love chickens! Unable to have them as we are not rural and don't have room and... have two Weimaraner dogs. So I'll have to read and dream. Loving your chicken stories hope you don't mind me following.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VioletMay For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (25-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've lost 2 of our girls in the last 2 months Both in similar circumstances- looked absolutely fine one day, then the next day we saw them looking out of sorts, standing alone with their combs a bit darker and floppy. Went to take them to the vet the very next morning and they suddenly convulsed and died in DH's arms. They were both 4 years old. We're now down to 3 chickens and need to get some more, but I'm so worried because we don't know what happened to Thelma and Gwen. What if there's something poisonous in the yard or something?

Now 2 of our hens are also crowing up a storm every morning both definitely hens, we've been getting eggs from them for 3 years, but they've decided to pretend to be roosters. Sorry neighbours!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IMG_1485398284.675144.jpg

Going outside in a minute. Going to set up a new shade area and finish clearing out their yard. Going to try and get onto making it cooler for them before next week.

Making an extra square section off their yard, that will be covered in double thickness shade cloth and will have a soaker hose going over the top of it on the hotter days.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Californication  (26-01-2017)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    45?? . 41 and 42 is bad enough, but 45 is brutal.

Thanks
    Reviews

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

amyd  (26-01-2017),JJZK  (26-01-2017),VioletMay  (26-01-2017)