+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We just sold out house and had it styled when we put it in the market. We put a heap of stuff in storage and although I freaked out with what she left us with at the start, I got used to it reasonably quickly. It was only about 6 weeks between putting it into storage and moving into the new house. The first thing I thought after she'd styled it though was 'why didn't I think of doing that'. It looked fantastic and so much bigger.

At the moment, the new house is somewhere in between but I would Iove to get it a bit more minimalistic. I think I. Have a lot of culling to do over the Xmas break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Minimalist living is so not for me. I keep things. Lots of things. In lots of storage boxes. But I don't like clutter so I regularly go on random rubbish sprees (as in chucking out, not collecting).

I'm nesting now, pretty hardcore, and organising EVERYTHING because I may never have another chance again. So I've managed to chuck out half my old wardrobe - I found stuff that I don't even remember buying and some of them still had tags on. I now have everything in boxes and sectioned out and it's lovely and neat. For now ...

I've attacked the toys today and cleared out my desk mess. Next up, a trip to Bunnings for storage stuff. Next up I need to sort out DS's wardrobe and organise all of the new baby clothes. I sense another clothing chuck coming up.

Then I tackle the bookshelves. I have a really hard time getting rid of books.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am fairly minimalist in 'my' areas of the house, kids areas though it the total opposite! I am overly sentimental with all their baby stuff and find it hard to let go of things that trigger memories. I would love to be a true minimalist though so very interested to hear of people who can pull it off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm another who had taken unpacked boxes from house to house! But I have now moved twice in the last couple of years, and into tiny units too, so I have been very brutal with what I keep and what I don't.
    Last move was a couple of weeks ago. I went through the week before and got two bootFULLs (I have a stationwagon too!) for charity. I also filled at least one council bin full of stuff. Then now while I've been unpacking, I've gotten rid of even more stuff!

I feel so much better!
    I have reduced my sentimental stuff into only a couple of tubs. One for me, one for the kids.
    As for other stuff, you know that stuff that you 'just might use one day'... if I haven't used it yet, or for a long time, then it gets chucked/donated. It's taken me a few years and quite a few culls to be brave enough to get rid of certain things, but you've just got to be realistic I guess about if you really need to keep stuff.

So now I have me and my stuff that fits into one room. Three kids and their stuff fits into one other room (this was/is the most challenging). I have a cupboard on my balcony for tools/garden/garage type stuff. My garage only fits my car and bicycles. And camping stuff at my mums.
    I don't have spare rooms/sheds/garages/hutches/various extra cupboards etc etc that other people seem to have. So I'm pretty happy with that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

jez  (20-12-2014)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to get attached to things ( nick nacks things kids had made ect) so I decided the take photos of things and chuck the hard copy out lol hard drives take up less space :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

amyd  (19-12-2014)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Haha...you sound just like me. I've taken unopened box from house to house. Obviously we don't need whatever is in those boxes because it's managed to sit there untouched for years but for whatever strange reason i cling onto it.

Have been looking at pictures of people's houses that have adopted minimalist living, it's so inspirational to see their bare, clear and almost clinical/sterile looking spaces, then i look around here... *sigh*... where to even begin? Lol
    Omg I have to unpack everything straight away when I move I will not sleep until it's done haha

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (19-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkx View Post
    Omg I have to unpack everything straight away when I move I will not sleep until it's done haha
    Far out! Where do you find that sort of motivation? You must let me know! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkx View Post
    I have a friend who moved at 36 weeks preg, had a three year old as well. They moved on a Thursday and she had the whole house unpacked and ready for a bbq with friends by sat. We've been in our house for three months and I still haven't unpacked the study lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Far out! Where do you find that sort of motivation? You must let me know! Lol
    I have no idea :-) it's a pain sometimes when my body is like rest rest rest but mind is no no no lol mum said she was the same

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. Interesting topic esp in the lead up to Christmas!