+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is this a dumb reason to consider an elective C-section....

Hi! Just wanting some opinions.......

I am 15 weeks pregnant with 2nd child and this is definitely my last pregnancy. DS was born a standard VB.

DH and I live in a different State from my parents and have no family support down here. I'm a worried about who will look after DS when I go into labour, and what if I have one of those long labours, who is going to look after him especially if it's a school night. Yes we have good friends who would offer to help but really they all have jobs and young children of their own.

i feel like if I book myself in for a C section I can get my mum down in time to look after DS. Also with my first I was taken in two nights before to be induced and started labour the 2nd night in hospital after hardly sleeping so after-wards I was so tired. This time I feel like it would be of benefit if I have a good night sleep in my own bed the night before and come in prepared.

So what do you think? Is it a dumb idea? I'm going public so would the hospital even go for it? How would I even bring it up?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think public hospital would likely not agree to c-section for those reasons. I would just ask a friend to be on standby just in case you go into labour- I'm sure they would be more than happy to do that, people love to help out when you're having a baby. And would your mum come and stay for a week or 2 around when bub is due, then chances are she would be there. Mine and DH's families are both interstate so we've had the same dilemmas, but have never needed to call in the backup.
    Even if they booked you in for c-section there is always the chance of you going into labour before your date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also please consider the recovery with c-section, you can't drive for 4-6 weeks, can't lift anything heavy (including other children/ pram out of car etc), much worse than missing a couple of nights sleep in labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Birth choices are never dumb and whilst I can understand why a c-section sounds appealing when you have limited support around you I wonder if you've thought of the first 6 weeks after a c-section? It's major abdominal surgery...you can't lift anything heavy and can't drive for 6 weeks after the c-section. Plus you are trying to recover from surgery + look after a newborn + take care of another child who may suffer from a bit of jealousy.
    I think you'll find that friends won't mind having an extra child for a night if you're off having a baby.
    In the end it's your decision, but you need to look at the big picture and not just the birth to make the best decision for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst I understand your reasoning please think about it carefully. It is major abdominal surgery. I didn't have pain but my scar opened up which then ended up in 10 weeks of wound changes every 2nd day by nurses from my birthing hospital coming to my house. I didn't want to drive anyways but I had my husband home for 5 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And.... you probably wont actually get a good night sleep the night before!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    Also please consider the recovery with c-section, you can't drive for 4-6 weeks, can't lift anything heavy (including other children/ pram out of car etc), much worse than missing a couple of nights sleep in labour.
    This is not necessarily true. My ob was happy for me to start driving after a few weeks. I think the wait 6 weeks to drive notion is a bit outdated. I recovered better from my c sections than some of my friends did from their vaginal births.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Understand your reasoning but my public hospital would not do ceasars for 'social reasons'.

It can also be a pretty difficult first few days/weeks. I am 8.5 weeks post op and still have some pain and can't lift heavy things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I understand your rationale, I'd have to agree with the other posts.
    While I recovered very well from my c section, I didn't lift the pram, the vacuum or do much for 6 weeks post op.
    This might make like difficult with DS's care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'll have the same issue pretty soon. I'm 16 weeks pregnant and absolutely zero family here in Australia. We won't fly anyone from France to look after DS, we'll just get 2 couples of friends on baby watch.

Both couples have young kids but they'd do anything to help out, and I would too.

I wouldn't pick a major surgery vs a vaginal birth. Especially if you are scared at the VB not going well, you should also consider what if the CS is not going well?
    My point is you can't really control birth either way.