+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I highly reccomend looking at the FACTS website. Some areas (in NSW) are in high demand! Others are not. Some areas have high demand for people willing to take babies, teens, disabled children etc. It depends a lot on your personal circumstances, abilities & location wether you will be placed with a child.

Foster care is an incredibly difficult & equally rewarding thing to commit to.

You accommodate foster children as you do your own however you need to remember one day, these children go home (ideally & if suitable) and at the same time, you may always play an important role in their lives (age & family dependent)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks Berry Delicious, how do you handle the attachment issue. How do you cope knowing they could go home and not get too attached and then how would it affect your parenting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you do short term you know that they will be moving on so even though you love them you can let go because you know it's coming (my experience anyway). If I had to let my DS go now after having raised him from birth and being told he will be with me permanently I would probably find that devastating, but I do always keep it in the back of my mind that it could happen. It doesn't stop me loving and caring for him like he is my own. You just have to remember that you are doing it for them, to provide them with a safe and loving home whether it's for a short time or a lifetime and not for yourself.
    Last edited by WiseOldOwl; 07-03-2015 at 22:02.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (08-03-2015),JustJaq  (07-03-2015),PlayNice  (08-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    following, its something Im considering as my children get older.
    once my baby is two its something Im considering

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is fairly old thread but wondering if anyone can shed any further light on this subject? Dh and I are considering fostering in the near future. And we have a few questions. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi @Constanceprice my husband and I were foster carers for a few years previously. Happy to answer any questions

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Being a foster carer

Thanks @SheWarrior

Basically my questions are, what kind of checks do they do? What conditions do they require for your house and yard etc? We would be looking at infants. Do babies require their own room etc?
    Thanks heaps
    Last edited by Constanceprice; 24-04-2017 at 08:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Constanceprice View Post
    Thanks @SheWarrior

Basically my questions are, what kind of checks do they do? What conditions do they require for your house and yard etc? We would be looking at infants. Do babies require their own room etc?
    Thanks heaps
    Sorry it's taken me a bit to get back to you!

With the checks, It's quite full on and very in depth. They want to prettt much know everything about you- upbringing (down to how you were punished as a child, family dynamics etc), criminal history, medical history (including mental health). There is basically no detail off limits. Then they a police check and blue card etc. They also do the same for anyone else living with you (eg housemate) and any friends or family who visit frequently and/or stay over. Anyone who will be in regular contact with the child goes through checks as well (ie family and friends of yours). They will do an assessment of your home to ensure it's suitable- identifying any safety hazards etc. That's all before you are even approved. I'm not sure about infants with rooms as we only had older kids, we had 3 plus our own daughter/s and they weren't worried about room sharing (the 3 were siblings). But that may have changed as it was 8 or so years ago.

Happy to try and answer any more questions if you have them. I personally couldn't do it again, especially with my own children in the house still. It's rewarding in that these kids are finally getting the love and care they deserve but it comes with A LOT of difficulties too- not just for you as foster parents but your own children as well and the kids you take in. And although we were promised all this wonderful support, it was all talk. The hoops you have to jump through are ridiculous and it can be so incredibly frustrating in regards to any contact related matters. Also, you need FACS permission to do anything- right down to hair cuts etc. Simple every day things become an ordeal because you need to get permission and follow all these protocols and procedures.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Billie2  (03-05-2017)