+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    328
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2
    Reviews
    0

    Default Split 2 ways - dilemma!

    Hi guys

    My DH and I are TTC #2. Unfortuneately, we are unable to conceive naturally - DD was an IVF baby. I'm 34 (35 in Feb), so time is ticking away somewhat... We just had a failed attempt at a frozen embryo transfer (FET). I'm still breastfeeding my 7 month old DD. My Dr has told us he'd prefer us to not be breasfeeding whilst attempting a FET, as it can possibly reduce the chance of success. We are able to try a FET twice more, and then it will be a full IVF cycle again - in which case I'll definitely have to stop bf due to all the hormones/drugs I'll have to take... My dilemma is that I don't want to stop breastfeeding!! It works for us, and for me it feels like the only "natural" thing I've achieved - DD was conceived through IVF and then was born via emergency caesarean...

    Aaargghh!! What to do?? Reading this back, it almost seems obvious to me that I should stop breastfeeding in order to give the FET every chance of success... But I don't want to!! I would really like to bf until DD is at least 12 months old - but as we are both getting a bit long in the tooth - we don't have the luxury of time...

    I think I have already made up my mind what I want to do, but I'm really interested to hear what others think... What would you do if you were in this situation?

    Thanks in advance guys...

    P.S. I hope this actually makes sense to someone!!

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,375
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Naturally it is up to you and your DH but if I was in your position I would stop breastfeeding to increase the chances of conceiving especially if the doctor reccommended it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,037
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked
    93
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Like Rachel said its totally up to you and DH to decide. It depends on what you really want more of. I can understand that it would be a hard decision to make but unfortunately its something that you and DH have to decide on. If you really want to get pg again and the DR's advised it then maybe its time that your little one goes onto the bottle. On the other hand if you want to keep on bf then just keep trying and see what happens. Im sorry if im no help to you but its a hard one to advise on.

    jaydensmum

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,414
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree. Ultimately you and DH need to decide what is best for you and baby. Formula feeding is getting better all the time. I had heaps of problems wih breast feeding and I honestly don't feel guilty about feeding my baby formula.

    Might be a good solution and help your chances of concieving. Although I understand it is easy said than done.

    Best of luck with it all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,016
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Miranda,

    What a bugger your FET didn't work. At the end of the day 35 is not that old, and your daughter will be 1 in around 5 months, so what is another 5 months at the end of the day, she won't be a baby forever!

    That is only my opinion. Good Luck either way.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,733
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    7
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to hear that FET didnt work. Your in a bit of a situation, i think that its fab that your still b/f, but what a bumma that it can reduce your chances on concevieing.DOH! Your feeding your baby the best way you can, and now your caught between a rock and a hard place. Unfortantly you may have to give up b/f to give your bubba a brother or sister. Its a decistion you shouldnt have to make but it must feel like you have no choise. Best of luck darl

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    283
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0
    Reviews
    0
    Could you slow right down or stop to concieve and then start again?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    328
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2
    Reviews
    0
    Hi guys

    Thanks for the support and opinions...

    Could you slow right down or stop to concieve and then start again?
    Not really....

    I failed to mention in my original post - just to make it a bit more interesting - DD won't take a bottle... She goes to daycare twice a week and basically we're lucky if she'll take 50ml whilst she's there! She won't take a bottle from me or DH... Another reason why I'm so loath to give up breastfeeding...

    I guess I'll just sleep on it for a few weeks... We're going to NZ next week for 2 weeks, so we'll miss this cycle anyway...

    Thanks again!

    Cheers!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20,685
    Thanks
    925
    Thanked
    740
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

    Default You've got to decide what you care about more

    Hi Petster
    You've just got to decide what your priorities are...and like many have said, none of us can tell you what is best for your family. I think that, as mother's we tend to assume massive levels of guilt about a whole range of things, many of which we have little control over. I think that you've done a tremendous job in bf so far.

    Decide what your priority is and act consistently with that in all things. Then you're pursuing your goal with all the resources that you have available (whether that goal is bf till 12 months or having another baby). Sometimes you just can't have it all.

    Cheers

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,715
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    3
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it were me, I'd be inclined to b/f the 12 months, and then try again.

    After 12 months, most babies are able to manage to drink from a cup or a straw, so the reliance on the bottle as an alternative to the breast is greatly diminished. Even though I expressed milk for #2 after I returned to work (at 12 months), she drank the milk from a straw or a cup, not from a bottle with a teat. And after 12 months cow's milk is usually fine, too.

    I know how it feels to think that time is getting away from you. We hurriedly embarked on TTC #3 earlier this year, even though I would have liked to wait 12 months more, as I will be 40 next year, and the alarm on my biological clock was ringing loud and clear! At 35, though, you still have some time left, even with needing to go via IVF.

    Give yourself the luxury of b/f you baby till they are a toddler, then embark on your mission. It's only 6 months.


 

Similar Threads

  1. 2 yo in split family
    By Love my rugrats in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 10:04
  2. How do you split restaurant bills?
    By Elijahs Mum in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-07-2012, 19:52
  3. DP and I have made the decision to split.
    By MumDadBoyandGirl in forum General depression and blues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-04-2012, 05:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Impressionable KidsImpressionable Kids are Australia's leader in framed children's memorabilia and specialise in framed baby hand and feet ...

ADVERTISEMENT