ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    They also had a recruiting centre somewhere in the city in the 90s, just off the Queen St Mall. DH loves to tell the story of how he wagged school one day with his friend, they ended up in the city getting suckered into attending a Scientology recruitment seminar with the promise of free IQ tests. They got locked in a little room watching a weird black and white recruitment video until they finally managed to talk themselves out, gives me the creeps just thinking of it!

To answer the OP though, I agree with PPs that in an ideal world I would prefer they didn't have a presence in Australia because after reading a bit about their beliefs and practices I do find it all a bit suspicious and cult-like. However, if they are legally considered a religion then I think all religions should have equal rights to practice their beliefs and build places of worship if they so desire provided it doesn't negatively impact anyone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Being a religion, the Church of Scientolgoy should be redirecting a percentage of profits to charity work. I highly doubt this is the case though. I'm not aware of any charities they operate, but that doesn't mean they don't.
    Just wondering if drug rehab programs are classed as charitable work?

They have a rehab facility in VIC and apparently they tried to open a drug rehab facility in NSW this year but were rejected: http://www.cootamundraherald.com.au/...ected/?cs=4082

Also a couple of years ago were targeting Indigenous Australians with drug dependency with a special drug rehab program (which included vitamin therapy), but the NT Health minister intervened: http://www.news.com.au/national/scie...-1225956836170

The program (Narconon) has been criticised and sound dodgy to me, but I'm wondering if this sort of thing makes them qualify as doing charitable work?

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    They also had a recruiting centre somewhere in the city in the 90s, just off the Queen St Mall. DH loves to tell the story of how he wagged school one day with his friend, they ended up in the city getting suckered into attending a Scientology recruitment seminar with the promise of free IQ tests. They got locked in a little room watching a weird black and white recruitment video until they finally managed to talk themselves out, gives me the creeps just thinking of it!
    I had a guy from the Church of Scientology approach me in the Melbourne CBD when I was about 18. Really full-on, hassling me to go with him to do a free IQ test. I'm not sure whether they still do it - hopefully not because I think it's concerning if any organisation, religious or otherwise, is actively trying to get random people off the street (particularly teenagers) to go somewhere private with them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    My home country recognize them as a sect. Going from that, no I don't think they should be allowed to buy lands in Australia.
    Yes - it is interesting to see what 'status' Scientology have throughout the world.

There aren't simply recognised as a religion world wide, depending on the country the are either a cult, a sect, a religious group, a religion, a not for profit organisation etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I'm not sure what other religions views on anti depression meds and other behavioural medication is, I'll have to research it.
    Unless you can fill me in, do all religions ban them?

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I wasn't referring to religions view of meds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    I wasn't referring to religions view of meds.
    I was

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think any religion should be getting tax breaks. They can buy all the land they want and tell their stories/do whatever but they should be paying tax. Having a good imagination does not make you special when it comes to tax.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-11-2014),CazHazKidz  (19-11-2014),Mod-DJ Nette  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    I don't think any religion should be getting tax breaks. They can buy all the land they want and tell their stories/do whatever but they should be paying tax. Having a good imagination does not make you special when it comes to tax.
    I wanted to say basically exacly this, but you said it perfect!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think any religions should be tax exempt. They are all essentially businesses so should pay tax as such.