ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Brb

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    [QUOTE=FiveInTheBed;8005478]
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post

I'm not sure what other religions views on anti depression meds and other behavioural medication is, I'll have to research it.
    Unless you can fill me in, do all religions ban them?

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Not being able to have a child messed with my mental health. Lucky I'm not Catholic else I wouldn't have been able to undergo IVF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Brb
    It's secret scientologist code! We've been invaded.

Subbing, just because this is interested.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (18-11-2014),Ladydee  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could call the people who own BP and Krispy Kremes here a cult then because they are Muslim? How ludicrous!

If I had the money I would own all the land I wanted 😁

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    …I'm just surprised that people are so "accepting" of such a large dodgy movement, simply because it considers itself a religion.
    But wouldn't that say more about the perceived sanctity of "religion/faith" than anything else? That underlying attitude of 'it's a religion therefore it cannot be criticised'. Scientology is what, 60 years old? It doesn't have the history of the Abrahamic religions and to the best of my knowledge there is/are no geographical area(s) where there are clusters of scientologists. I would be interested to know the percentage of people who were born into it than those who are scientologists 'by choice'.

I know the founder (Ron Hubbard) is a former science fiction writer. The name of the religion makes me all stabby though. "The science of science" yet can't give empirical evidence of its claims.

I believe that they believe mothers should be silent during birth. FFS, only a bloke could have thought that one up. They are very anti-psychiatry and I believe members are required to take an oath that they will not seek outside psychiatric at any time.

Should they be allowed to buy large chunks of land? Well, in my perfect world no, because they would not have the millions of dollars to do so. However, I guess you can't really stop them from buying this land but I strongly advocate that churches/religions should be taxed like any other organisation. The only exception would be where they could show records that monies received were directed to secular charitable services.

This is a fascinating talk by Jamie DeWolf, Hubbard's great grandson. He talks about how talented a writer his G-Grandfather was but in 1949 made the comment "you want to know how to really get rich, you start a religion".
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 18-11-2014 at 20:20.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (18-11-2014),giggle berry  (19-11-2014),Renn  (18-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    [QUOTE=DJ Nette;8005492]

Not being able to have a child messed with my mental health. Lucky I'm not Catholic else I wouldn't have been able to undergo IVF.
    FTR I'm catholic and that hasn't stopped me from having s*x before marriage or using contraception, I believe in IVF and would have used it if I had to, I also think stem cells should be able to be used to find cures for diseases and cancer and that is the difference in my mind between being Catholic and following Scientology and some other more evangelical Christian religions (Westbro Church for example) is that I'm not going to be 'kicked out of the church' or disowned by my family for not following what the Catholic Church believes in some instances.....

But back to the question, yes they should be able to as you can't differentiate between them an other not for profit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=redlipsandpearls;8005482]

Many religions are against birth control. There was a Catholic pharmacist in regional NSW that stopped stocking birth control because it goes against his beliefs. I can guarantee that unwanted pregnancies can greatly impact one's mental wellbeing.
    Are you talking about the one in Thurgoona @redlipsandpearls ? Or are there others?

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=squishie;8005540]
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post

Are you talking about the one in Thurgoona @redlipsandpearls ? Or are there others?
    In Griffith.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=BbBbBh;8005470]
    They muck with people's mental health - openly and intentionally.[/QUOTE
    Which religion doesn't?
    This seems unfair. There are a lot of religions out there that are doing a lot of good. For example lifeline is a Uniting Church funded organisation and I think most people would agree Lifeline has a really positive effect on people's mental health.

In response to the op's question, in an ideal world I'd prefer they couldn't buy the land. Any organisation that is as secretive as Scientology is makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My home country recognize them as a sect. Going from that, no I don't think they should be allowed to buy lands in Australia.